which clinchers does everyone ride?

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok so aimed at modern tyres (sorry) but just curious about peoples views on the clinchers they're riding and how they find them.
I've got Vittoria Rubino Pro 3s on the good bike and Zaffiros on the everyday bike, which both work well for what they're used for. Just wondering what else is out there for my current build, budget of around £50 a pair (more or less).

I have Michelin Pro 4's on my Raleigh. I got them on special offer complete with tubes, and so far I have done a couple of hundred miles on them in wet and dry conditions.

They seem to roll well, grip and don't seem to have worn very much at all, as the front tyre still has the flashing join around the middle.

For my money there is only one tyre worth using, and that is Schwalbe Ultremo ZX.

Trouble is, that normal price is ~£35 each, you can sometimes find them on offer.

They roll well are grippy and look nice, the other problem with them is though that the grip comes at a price, they don't actually last very long (I haven't worn a pair out yet, but then I have only done ~1000 miles on one pair.)

I must say, having looked at a few tyres now, that the Ultremo ZX seem the best on paper. High on Bikes have them at 29.99 each which is a bit of a stretch but possible.

For my budget I'm tempted to stick with Vittoria as they seem to last for years.

Veloflex masters aka corsas on race and road bike. Gatorskins on the winter wheels.

Gator skins or Conti GP4 Season are the only ones that survive the fords and cattle grids round me. Other tyres get trashed in around 1000 miles.

Do a search for my name mentioning tyres. I asked a similar question and had some very good feedback. I ended up going for the tyres you have now. For the record, I have been very impressed.

Based on many winters experience riding the flint strewn roads of Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex there are few tyres that I could say with confidence are truly reliable. Conti GP4 Seasons or Schwalbe Durano Pluses are about the best combination or performance vs puncture resistance. Schwalbe Marathons for absolute protection, but they're heavy and feel dead. Gatorskins are OK but checked far too many away due to cuts and grip in the wet can be marginal. For more performance oriented, there's Michelin Pro4 Endurance or Schwalbe Ultremo DD which are fast enough to race but tough enough for a winter's use, but you will puncture now and again. As for the likes of Ultremo ZX, Conti GP4000s, ProRace 4s etc - keep them for summer unless you really want to pi$$-off your ride buddies with multiple punctures

Iwasgoodonce":2fyq4z3k said:
Do a search for my name mentioning tyres. I asked a similar question and had some very good feedback. I ended up going for the tyres you have now. For the record, I have been very impressed.

My Rubino pro3's are into their 3rd year and high 1000's mileage wise, have never punctured so that's pretty good in my book.

The Zaffiro's I use for commuting take a fair bit of punishment on London streets, approx 15 miles a day am just starting my second pair in 2 years, again never punctured. They don't feel too confident cornering in the wet though.

I have summer and winter wheels for the new build so maybe Rubino pro3's again for winter and will try Ultremo ZX, Conti GP4000s, ProRace 4s etc for dry/summer just to try something new.

The cycling weekly forum seem keen on Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp which are reasonably priced.

Cheers for the info guys ;)

Been using Michelin Krylions for about 4yrs over the Winter months. During that time probably only had a handfull of puntures, riding 200-250 miles a month.
They also seem pretty hard wearing and roll well.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Back