Wheeler Sirmione

C1Rob

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone! I just recently found this forum and after reading for a couple of days i thought i would post my recently purchased first road bike!

Its a Wheeler Sirmioni and thats about all i know about it. Does anyone else know anything about it? It seems to be a Swiss brand but its mostly making dirt/mbt now.
242197_509225079087663_2033541480_o.jpg

The frame is Tange 5 so not really anything special. Thats all i know of. Also got some shimano pedals for clip on shoes including the shoes. These are a size too small though and its not handy for commuting :p

I rode it for a couple of weeks like this and my rear tire blew. Both tires are in really bad shape but the rear was unfixable... So i bought a new schwalbe tire for the back and ill ride the front till that pops... Couldnt read what size the tyre was and this being my first road bike made it kind of hard to figure out what to buy. I eventually found the wheel sizes on the Velobase website and bought these schwalbes. The schwalbes are 23 but i eventually found out the vittorias are 19. I like the feel of the wider rear tire though so i dont mind :D

The front brake cable is a little short seeing i had to raise the stem for my length. As it still needs to go up a little ill probably have to get a new cable which means unwrapping the bar. Im waiting with that because im thinking of getting some Bullhorns(something like the BLD Dali pursuit bars) and ill have to redo the cables and everything then anyways. Reason for switching to a bullhorn bar is because im never in the drops, its just not comfortable for me and im mostly riding with my hands on the top. Normal flat bars would be most comfortable for my purpose but i really hate the look of those...

I have to confess that even though i always wanted a road bike(well, a "racing" road bike...) i never bought one until recently with the new fixie hype. I have come to like the bike as it is though and ill just ride it like this with some minor changes overtime. :D
--
Frame: Wheeler sirmioni

Fork: ? (Wheeler?)

Headset: ?
Stem: ?
Handlebar: ?
Bar Tape: ?

Brake Levers/Brifters: ?
Brake Calipers: Shimano
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: ?

Shifters: Shimano
Front Derailleur: Shimano Exage
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Exage
Derailleur Cables: ?
Cassette: ?
Chain: ?
Cranks: Shimano Exage
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace
Bottom Bracket: ?
Pedals: ?

Rims: Mavik 192
Hubs: ?
Hub Skewers: ?
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: front= Vittoria 19-622 rear= Schwalbe 23-622
Tubes: front= ? rear= Cordo

Saddle: Wheeler
Seatpost: ?
Seatpost Binder: ?

Bottle Cage: 1, dont know make
Extras: extra set of shimano clipon pedals

Weight: ??

It looks fine as it is. I wonder about that saddle though. Bigger isn't always better. More importantly though, I would check the minimum insertion line on that stem. It looks a very long way out!

You may or may not get on with those Biopace rings.

Thanks!

For some reason the biopace is ok with me, it rides smoothly and i cant really tell they are different from a normal set(but that might be inexperience). I understand there is a big love hate thing about them.

I did think about the stem aswell but i couldnt find a line on it so i thought why not. I have somewhat short legs(or a big torso depends on how you look at it) for my length(186cm). The frame is perfect for my legs but the stem needs to be up like this to get a somewhat comfortable aero position.

Anything i can do about it without having to buy a different bike?

The seat is comfortable but i agree that it looks a little bulky. Kinda like that bag, i hate it so ill probably remove it soon.

I get on well with Biopace on mine. They do have a habit of making you press on though.

If the Biopace is original to the bike it would make it about 1992-ish in age. The shifters and brakes match it, but I think the rear derailleur might be a replacement.

Ok thanks forum the info!! I know it's far from rare or special but I like it and with all the knowledge here it seemed the best place to ask for some info about it.

With the right gears selected the biopace rides like a dream!

I removed the seatbag, looks much better already. Also after taking a close look I found the max mark on the stem. It was indeed way too far out. This stem is 100mm long(or atleast it says 100 on the stem) so I'm thinking of getting a nitto stem with a 150mm length.

C1Rob":2h980zir said:
Ok thanks forum the info!! I know it's far from rare or special but I like it and with all the knowledge here it seemed the best place to ask for some info about it.

With the right gears selected the biopace rides like a dream!

I removed the seatbag, looks much better already. Also after taking a close look I found the max mark on the stem. It was indeed way too far out. This stem is 100mm long(or atleast it says 100 on the stem) so I'm thinking of getting a nitto stem with a 150mm length.

The 100mm refers to the extension length from centre of 'bars to centre of the expander bolt, not the height of the stem. You would need something like this:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... clamp.html

It's taller than normal stems and comes in various lengths.

Mark.

I was indeed thinking of a technomic stem but i also saw a nitto dynamic stem which looks a little better(especially the clamping area) and was available in 26 and 25.4 clamping sizes. The technomic stem is only available in 25.4 in a shop near me. The dynamic was listed as having a longer ?(pipe?) length aswell.

Back