First stab at a restoration. Bought the bike for £5

Ok, so took the bike out today for a proper 'crap weather' trial.need a new bottom bracket. Any idea what it might be and where I can get one from lol!!! It's got a four sided tapered end that the crank wedges on to if that helps (the pedal arm doesn't go anywhere near flush onto the bottom bracket though, think I may have missed out a washer or two?!?!! And the rear freewheel cog seemed to be making a fairly crappy noise...could it be chain mis alignment?

brake cable advice

do they go in front of the handlebars - or behind them? and how long should the 'loop' be? or is it just taste, and as long as the bike can turn then all is ok?

Reply to the brake cable question: they should go in front of the bars,
this reduces the chance of your hands getting tangled in the cables if
you let go of the bars.

About the BB: square taper BBs were quite standard up til quite recently,
the main thing to check is the width of the spindle - this will affect
whether your chain runs in a nice straight line from the front chainring
to the freewheel. If the line is not straight, this might explain the noise
from the FW. A good bike shop should be able to help you find the right length
spindle.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

Had to postpone the chainring that came with the bike, bent up and font have the tools to fix it. Needed a mates hub puller to get it off the square taper. Reversed the axle so the shorter end is the drive side , to get a straighter line of chain. Bought a single chainring. New hoods to match saddle . Now purring like a kitten. Never ridden old school geometry race bikes as an adult, it handles fab! Brake cables in front of bars too now. All for less than my 200 quid budget. Looking to improve fitness and have some fun. Thanks for the help y'all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,053
Running it in good and proper. Redid water transfer Falcon graphic. Put my name on it too with a little St George's cross for good measure ;) and an RAF roundel on the front. A mix of old and new, and I'm riding the pants off it, and loving the comfort value. There is an annoying clunking sound from the 'rear' however, occurs when freewheeling so it's not the crank or BB. Rear hub or freewheel maybe (or something more sinister perhaps?) ideas welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 366
Does it only occur when freewheeling? And can you feel it as well as hear it? My bet would be the freewheel ratchet if it only occurs when freewheeling, or the hub bearings. Bearings are easily fixed, what did they look like when you switched the axle round and did you clean and regrease them (i'm presuming its a cup and cone with caged balls) ?

Latest posts

Back