12 months on...

2 Imacs in the shop, an iPad 1st gen, an i7 at home, and 3 Ipod touches, never a moments problem with any of them, went over to Mac at work when we went through 3 laptops in a year that were running Vista and Windows 7 constant blue screens and weird bugs, the Vista laptop we have in the bedroom for watching films is slow and clumsy......
The only time I've had a problem was with a 1st gen Ipod Nano that I left inside a car on a very hot day in full sun.

Personally I don't give a toss about S. Jobs

The only thng that gets me with Apple is I'll have to bootstrap the i7 to play Battlefield 3.

1210tech":2dw6tbl0 said:
sylus":2dw6tbl0 said:
In many ways like Boris Johnson...his first skill was public image and promotion, his second skill was building a team of very talented people around him
Boris Johnsons skills are public image & promotion???

OOOhh yes..have you ever wondered why he has the image of a buffooon but still manages to win elections as an mp..london mayor and some view him as a possible sucessor to dave the rave?...he promotes the image because he knows it works..but as I said he's also clever enough to surround himself with people who can

Jobs was a tyrant at apple and most who worked there would find that image an accurate one..but he knew apple would grow with the right people running it

I suppose I should say that my opinions as stated above have been formed by years of dealing with IT problems for a living - you get a better perspective on these things when you're dealing with sample sizes several orders of magnitude greater than "it works(or doesn't work) for me."

My main point was and is that despite the hype Apple hardware and Apple software has plenty of bugs, same as anyone else's - and that I find it slightly disturbing when even people who've suffered problems with their own Apple devices will somehow block that from their consciousness and continue to enthusiastically evangelise about the flawless wonders that Apple produce.

While we're at it, someone mentioned innovation... The number of true innovations to come from Apple is negligible. Steve Jobs' talent was not in innovating, but in convincing the hordes of paying punters that the new iDevice was truly revolutionary and game-changing... no matter that cheaper and or functionally superior products were already around. It was a real talent, but not one that I have any respect for...

I used to do IT support for the Macs in our company. Never had a significant hardware problem with any of them, other than 1 failed hard-drive (ibm deskstar I think) and a noisy fan. Have never had any significant software problems since the os 8.6 days. Our company went all windows though because wanted to only support 1 platform, and some of them were a bit mac-phobic. Just my perspective.

cyfa2809":1prb2hsj said:
Steve jobs - pixar?

oh yes, i have the love for Pixar.

never bought an Apple product (won a ipod nano years ago) sold it on.
recently acquired an iPod classic which i rarely use.
tech is tech, always evolving. can never be bothered to be up to date and i'm still able to operate amongst all the technological innovations that happen so often in this industry.

99% marketing hype 1% practical evolution.

1210tech":1kp242my said:
Sorry, but I don't accept any of your arguments, Apple products do 'just work'.

in that case, can you explain why a team of 8 work on the genius bar of the apple store nearest to me, 9am to 10pm, 7 days a week and have a constant 3 day waiting list for tech / hardware problem solving?

I don't know of a single other outlet in any sector that needs such a big 'jim'll fix it' department. (i'm not implying that apple employees are kiddy fiddlers, although with the look of some of them it really wouldn't shock me!!)

most apple products do not 'just work' some customers are just lucky!

jax13":1k532q1a said:
1210tech":1k532q1a said:
Sorry, but I don't accept any of your arguments, Apple products do 'just work'.

in that case, can you explain why a team of 8 work on the genius bar of the apple store nearest to me, 9am to 10pm, 7 days a week and have a constant 3 day waiting list for tech / hardware problem solving?

I don't know of a single other outlet in any sector that needs such a big 'jim'll fix it' department. (i'm not implying that apple employees are kiddy fiddlers, although with the look of some of them it really wouldn't shock me!!)

most apple products do not 'just work' some customers are just lucky!

Can you explain to me why Microsoft doesn't have the same services available to the general public to help resolve any tech/hardware problem?

In my opinion the Genius Bar exist's to help customers changing from Windows to Mac and the issues that arise from this.

When all is said and done they're just computers, not really worth arguing about really. First world problems.........

1210tech":2wkcfd6l said:
Can you explain to me why Microsoft doesn't have the same services available to the general public to help resolve any tech/hardware problem?

Firstly, Microsoft only sells software, not hardware. Apple sells the complete package, so if anything goes wrong it's certainly their fault.
Secondly, you can get a regular PC fixed at any PC store, so you don't have to run halfway across the country if it goes wrong.

As for Steve Jobs, the only real difference his death made to me is that I now use regular bullseyes for my target practice.

Back