Chain slipping

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
Trying to remedy chain slippage on a new build. It feels as if it's coming from the back, but I could be wrong. I was advised to take any excess chain length off, but it's made no difference. It's a 9-speed, running on a 7 speed block... No gold in seven. After looking at Sheldon Brown, I thought it'd work, but I'm beginning to think again.

Anything else I should try before replacing the chain?

Sounds like either the chain or cassette is worn. Have you a tool to check the. Chain (alternatively it can be measured), do you have a different cassette to try?

Thanks Tel - Tried to put a different wheel on last night, but being a 23c the clearances were too tight. The chain was brand new, and the Marchisio freewheel looks like it's got less than 1000 miles on it.

Tried a different derailleur.

I'm cleaning up some old sprints at the minute, I'll try that once it's roadworthy.

It's likely to be the cassette. I've had plenty that look great but if they were used with a worn out chain they tend to wear the cassette down very quickly making it useless with a good chain. Check and replace your chain regularly folks.

Is it only on certain sprockets that it slips?

Typical of a mismatched chain / bock :( The small cogs have so little wrap around the chain rides up.

Can be improved slightly by going for a slant pantograph type rear mech but usual solution is a new block.

Shaun

Back