Project Omen (Tomac content)

stockybmx

Dirt Disciple
Well,

After getting shut of my 2000 heckler frame I opted to run a hardtail frame that I had donated to me. Seemed like a good idea as I was getting back on the MTB for some recovery training (currently racing BMX).

I thought modern stuff was supposed to be the bollox, but I was disappointed to say the least, only been hitting trail centres and decent singletrack (as in hitting as hard as I can), and the frame has died, won't name it just picture it.
IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

So, I'm going back a few years and see how it suits my current style.

Picked up this lot at a bargain price.
IMAG0084.jpg

Some of the parts off my current ride (i'll ride it til it pops), will go over. Just gonna ruin it by keeping the XT hollowtech II cranks, as I love em.

As the build comes together, I'll post more. But, for now, I'm cleaning up these ready for going on.
IMAG0087.jpg

If anyone out there has a decent era-ish correct 30.9 post, I'd prefer one longer than the 250mm trimmed that came with the frame.

Opinions?
Sutty

Not seen an Omen frame for ages. Personally I'm not a fan of the looks, but they're supposed to tide pretty well. One of the customers in the shop I worked in had one and really liked it.

Are they old school dirt jumpers? They're ace if they are, I've tried to pick some ul form the bay a couple of times but they got too pricey.

I too think you should name the cracked frame... I've only ever had one frame die on me; an Orange Sub Zero. Great bike though.

frame

the frame was a Flow Myth.

Cracked both sides of the seatstay/toptube junction, and lots of stress marks on the headtube/toptube junction. Supposed to be a modern 4x frame!!!!

The Omen was aimed at dual/4x, seems a little bit heavier than the Flow, and I've heard of bent Tomac's never a snapped or cracked one.

The build starts this weekend.

Sutty

update

Well I smashed myself to pieces on Thurs night on the BMX, so while I couldn't ride today, I cracked on with the build.

As this bike is no showpony, it will be running worn parts already. Take the wheels, Hope Sport hubs with the original centre lock rotor. Sadly, the rear wheel was set-up for the hope floating arm with shorter spindle:-
IMAG0091.jpg

This meant I had to butcher the arm and bolt the extra axle part in place:-
IMAG0092.jpg

Now the build could go ahead.

Everything went fine, apart from the front brake, I put new pads in there and the lever hardly moves now and the brake is dragging. I'm hoping a good hard ride tomorrow will sort things.
IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

Back