Kona Cinder Cone '88-'89

Hi Chaps,

For sale is this lovely first year of production Cinder Cone. This must have been one of the first in the country (Frame number appears to be F9024404, the paint splatter paint job doesn't lend to keeping things legible). Everything is original spec, bar the tyres which are unworn (still got some of the knibblies on them) Smoke and Darts. This bike has seen very little use, the chain isn't even stretched, everything is smooth, nice thumbies and great shifting. The original splatter paint job is immaculate, no significant marks or chips, a couple of the transfers have minor scratches (which I'll try to highlight in the photos).

Tange double-butted frame
Project Two Fork
Sealed Tech Headset
Exage Trail with Biopace Crankset, Tange BB
Exage Mountain LX Hyperglide 7speed freewheel
Exage Mountain LX shifters
Kona internal roller stem (what became the Velocity)
Exage Mountain LX canti front
Exage Mountain LX U-brake rear with U-2 (whatever that is)
Mountain LX SLR levers
Mountian LX front and rear hubs
Original Avocet Saddle

A little unsure how Konas are measured... the catalogue here;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12969

doesn't indicate a 20" option, though that's what I'd say this is. It's certainly not much taller than my 19.5" Trek Singletrack (at the seatpost anyway, the front is a lot taller with that loooong headtube).

Despite being a bit of a holy grail type thing to find in this totally original spec condition, if I'm honest isn't the bike it was intended to replace; my stolen Midnight Blue '95 Lava Dome (yes the Grip Shift one). '88 is a bit before my time, I just can't justify the space in the shed, and would rather it joined a collection.

I'm looking for £300.00 posted, £270 collected, please let me know if this is shooting way too high.

I'll consider splitting, but would really rather not break this bike up as it is not only original spec but everything is in such great condition, it'd be a real shame...

More photos here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84304924@N02/

Please let me know if there are any details I missed

Attachments

• cinder cone2.jpg
    cinder cone2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,339
  • ubrake.jpg
    ubrake.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,257
  • cinder cone decal.jpg
    cinder cone decal.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,257
Now with full spec, and photos that aren't tiny and blurry!

As above, apologies for the cack-handed listing yesterday it'd been a long weekend...

Weekend bump

Really don't want to have to split this... but if I don't get some interest soon I'll have to start thinking about pricing up the parts and get the Allen keys out...

Surely someone here needs a bike with a U-brake in their life?

I've added more photos on the flickr...

Would have had it like a shot, she' a beauty but it's too big :cry: you're right not to want to split. GLWS

Thanks for the encouragement to keep whole. If it was a perfect fit I'd definitely be keeping it. I'd like it to find a home with a (slightly) taller Kona lover though.

Back