And today I did......

Replaced an ahead headset on my GT Tempest, using a small and large screw driver, one length of copper pipe, a hammer and a piece of wood wrapped in a rag (so as not to wake the missus)...

Worked a treat - although she woke up anyway.

Trickiest bit was removing that little wedge of plastic, which I chewed to bits, it has to come up, before the fork drops down... fettle finished before midnight (new PB!)

Removing AHeadset just needs Allen Keys a rubber hammer and large screwdriver. Plastic wedge removal just needs knocking exposed steerer downward a bit with rubber hammer then putting forks back on deck which pushes steerer back up taking wedge with it which is then no longer under tension and can be pulled off by hand. Rubber hammer and large screwdriver can then be employed to knock out cups.

Well done though, my first attempts were pleasing but harder work than later once I'd learned the tricks ;)

Couldn't seem to move the beastie at all, gave the top of the tube and almighty whack or three, but no dice. Hit it sideways a bit and got a little screwdriver into the gap in the wedge, and hammered that (I was replacing the whole lot so wasn't too bothered about damaging it)... doubt it's ever been off since new, and the steerer was pretty rusty too. but eventually got under it and bingo, once loose the whole thing just fell apart!

Now I've got the hang of it, should be a lot easier next time?!
JP

Ah with you, it'll have been rust acting as a glue. Fair enough but use plenty grease when you fit a new one so it'll come apart next time.
You learn oodles of tricks when you fix up old bikes :D

Rumble":ff86lw4j said:
I won't be riding my bike today, I'm getting married instead!

And that stops you from fitting a ride in how?........................ :roll:

:LOL:

Hope it all goes well. Lovely day for a wedding down here, or for a bike ride. ;)

Back