1989 Orange Formula - pic update

sinnerman":119ws2zo said:
Adrian, have a close look at this picture for me, and tell me how close this stem is to the one you have....???

If you think it is the same, for GODSAKE dont shorten it, keep it as it is, even if it means not using it for this build.

Carl, it does look similar - the relative position of the cable stop and roller are different though.

What is that picture from?

To be honest I wasn't considering having the stem altered as it is of it's time and dodgy handling comes with the territory!! The stem is a piece of British craftsmanship that is in great condition.

nevadasmith":2t48utj7 said:
sinnerman":2t48utj7 said:
Adrian, have a close look at this picture for me, and tell me how close this stem is to the one you have....???

If you think it is the same, for GODSAKE dont shorten it, keep it as it is, even if it means not using it for this build.

Carl, it does look similar - the relative position of the cable stop and roller are different though.

What is that picture from?

To be honest I wasn't considering having the stem altered as it is of it's time and dodgy handling comes with the territory!! The stem is a piece of British craftsmanship that is in great condition.

The whole stem thing has been intriguing me. and i have been doing some research on you behalf to be honest.

After several discussions, i was led Back to Roger Tushingham.

I have Roger to thank for the Image, and what you see before you, is an Original Stem Fillet brazed and Silver soldered here in the UK and Fitted (Bespoke) to the much Revered (almost folklore) Tushingham Works Team Bike.

Obviously the works team bike or one of the few Besopke replicas that were made availiable to order in very limited numbers, were built within a very short space of time For Both Roger Tushingham and Lester Noble under the banner of Tushingham Bikes. Lester shortly after formed Orange Mountain Bikes and the Formula was then worked on, following on from where the Tushingham Works Team bike left off.

If thats what you have, you are a very Lucky Man indeed.

nevadasmith":16q40xz2 said:
sinnerman":16q40xz2 said:

Carl, it does look similar - the relative position of the cable stop and roller are different though..

Could that be down to a simple difference in Length and Angle/rise though...?

Its such a close match dont you think....? Can i ask how you came by it..?

Attachments

• the_stem_fillet_brazed_and_silver_soldered_made_right_here_in_the_uk_118.jpg
    the_stem_fillet_brazed_and_silver_soldered_made_right_here_in_the_uk_118.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 756
  • dsc_0246_206.jpg
    dsc_0246_206.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 756
nevadasmith":1e1u70dp said:
sinnerman":1e1u70dp said:

Yes - it is very close indeed the cable stop is a very small difference and could be down to stem to stem variation.

It came from eBay, outed here by Gravy Monster:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217531

**** me, that was an amazing purchase....!!!!

I think the writing is on th wall for me Adrian. Amazing... :shock: :cool:

Mate i am GENUINELY excited for you over this whole thing.....!!!!

sinnerman":22875fs8 said:
nevadasmith":22875fs8 said:
sinnerman":22875fs8 said:

Yes - it is very close indeed the cable stop is a very small difference and could be down to stem to stem variation.

It came from eBay, outed here by Gravy Monster:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217531

f**k me, that was an amazing purchase....!!!!

I think the writing is on th wall for me Adrian. Amazing... :shock: :cool:

Mate i am GENUINELY excited for you over this whole thing.....!!!!

:LOL: :shock:

Thanks for doing the research Carl!!

It's funny how these things can come together sometimes!

If the stem is not the best fit for riding I wouldn't chop or alter that one...I would just find another

Back