The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

I stand by my ears, but agree with you mostly........i don't belive all the 'over the top reviews'........but interconnects (some at least) do change the sound of the bass or treble (tonal balance)........and as i've added to the above, amps without tone controls can be frustrating if they play music too warm or too sharp. So many recordings differ in their quality and over all balance.

Some cable appear to act like tone controls in this way.

Lets face it, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an expensive Naim amp and the same track played through a budget Nad amp............so would that mean they sound all the same, and all Naim amp people are kidding themselves that their symbols sound more real ? for an extra £1,000

No an interconnect is not as complicated, but some do alter the sound subtly, like tone controls on amplifiers (that have them)

I have been listening to and making (on and off) interconnects since the late 80's and yes most i've heard sound very very similar to each other.
But some do add or take somthing away, which may be the very thing you would like to add or take away from your kit.

I can't see the need to spend anything over £50 in the real world, that's why i selected the cable for the interconnects i've stated making, it sound as good as any interconnect i've ever heard, but with the best balance i've heard. But it's just my ears.........they could sound completly different to someone else...and someone else.......that is the weak/strong link in hi-fi..........the ears of the buyer/listener :D

i thought you said once that you need to spend at least £700 on a pair of speakers ? What's wrong with £300/£500 speakers, surely there are some good ones under £700

(i don't read the mags, but i have listened to a fair amount of kit and cables, i've always found the mag reviews to be unreliable myself)

I respect your opinion but can't see how you can just 'say i'm wrong'..........i'm just giving my opinion based on my experiences nowt else :D

So getting back to the question........so do you think DCT cables are nonsense ? This is the place for hi-fi chat/discussion ?

Massive damned reply edit!*

greenstiles":2a4fsy1j said:
i thought you said once that you need to spend at least £700 on a pair of speakers ? What's wrong with £300/£500 speakers, surely there are some good ones under £700

Damn laptop! Didnt see the whole reply - I still bet you my entire bike collection that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between interconnects, including your own in a proper 'blind test' or A plus B plus X test (ABX)

If you want to discuss speakers, its basic economics, you will have better cabinet materials and drivers for your £700 over a £300 set. At £300 retail, you are looking at a manufacturing cost of around £55 per pair whereas higher up the scale, a £700 set would have cost about £180/£220 per pair.

As for the physical sound of a speaker, its all in the design and material choice, different cone material will sound different same with cabinet materials, driver materials etc etc. Actual designs such as transmission line, closed cabinet, open/ closed baffle, etc etc.

And yes, there are many many good speakers at £300 but if you really want to do things properly, ditch the 200GS and go Deore DX/ XT (XTR is for the mad).

Another big fat edit*

lots of fun to be had here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing ... -and-myths

You brought speakers up not me .......so i'm following on from you !

Were trying to say' all that glitters is not gold ' or something ?

I know one thing...... my cables are a nicer colour than most interconnects :D .....that's gonna give you extra happy endorphins and thus make the music sound better ;)

greenstiles":ryjxo73r said:
You brought speakers up not me .......so i'm following on from you !

Were trying to say' all that glitters is not gold ' or something ?

damned laptop cut off half the bloody reply for some reason so see my edits.

greenstiles":2yor7ljt said:
I know one thing...... my cables are a nicer colour than most interconnects :D .....that's gonna give you extra happy endorphins and thus made the music sound better ;)

I think my red Chord look nicer.

LGF very interesting stuff regards cable and i do agree ' most ' cables sound very similar. Sadly a lot of hi fi stuff does too !

I've upgraded amps down to reviews a long time ago only to find hardly any improvements in the sound at all.............BUT then you come across kit that does sound different.........what i'm saying is ' like bicycles' there's a wash of crap out there but there are a minority of good brands that offer a noticable difference...........i think it's the same with interconnects but just with finer differences ........i don't need a blind test to tell that some of the cables i've heard are crap....i'm not impressed by slinky styling.

Some people wouldn't be able to tell a deore rear mech (feel) from an XTR.............but like all performance products quite often an improvement can only be felt by someone who uses such things day in day out or in a work /professional environment.

Again i stress that i belive 'most' cables do sound the same and are a rip off. But like some hi fi companies, some kit inc a few cables stands out amongst the sea of stuff that doesn't.

Back