Ebay Carbon (Modern Content, sorry!)

Alex Creasey

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'd been very intrigued by the carbon frames being churned out of China and kept going back for another look…. and another look… With work being a 7 day affair for around the first 6 months of the year, wanted a project or two that I could build here and there as time allowed.
So eventually took the plunge going for a 3k weave and gloss finish which arrived within a week and with headset included, all for around £220.00 delivered! I have to say I wasn't expecting much quality and finish wise but was really pleased with just how well it was finished…

DSC06487.jpg

DSC06489.jpg

DSC06490.jpg

DSC06491.jpg

Rockshox SID Race forks from my Clark Kent…
DSC06495.jpg

And a set of Sun Ringle Black Flag wheels which were had for cheeep from CRC at the time:
DSC06496.jpg

As time allowed got a few bits together and it started taking shape…
DSC06510.jpg

DSC06511.jpg

DSC06513.jpg

And after a good few months finally got it all together. I was most interested to feel how these frames ride given alot of interweb thoughts and reviews and got to say it rode very well indeed! Light, responsive and generally way better than I ever expected a couple of hundred quids worth of carbon frame would ever ride. The one downside for my stickman like features is the stiffness… Very unforgiving but was kind of expected. All in all quite pleased with the outcome…

DSC06564.jpg

DSC06563.jpg

DSC06567.jpg

DSC06565.jpg

DSC06569.jpg

DSC06566.jpg

DSC06567.jpg

DSC06570.jpg

DSC06572.jpg

DSC06574.jpg

DSC06577.jpg

DSC06571.jpg

Full spec:

Frame: Ebay Carbon Jobbie with 3k gloss finish

Fork: Rock Shox SID Race

Headset: Internal (came with frame)
Stem: Superstar
Handlebar: Hylix Carbon Riser
Grips: One23 Lock on's

Brakes: Funn with Alligator discs
Brake Cables: Jagwire carbon
Brake Levers: TRP Carbon

Shifters: XT Thumbshifter
Rear Derailleur: M970 XTR Shadow
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire carbon
Cassette: HG61
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Raceface
Chainring: Hope 36t
Chainring bolts: A2Z
Bottom Bracket: Token External
Pedals: Time Atac XS

Hub Skewers: A2Z
Wheels: Sun Ringle Black Flag
Tyres: Schwalbe Smart Sam's or Michelin Slicks
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Evolution Carbon
Seatpost: Superstar
Seatpost Collar: Salsa

Thanks for looking.
Alex.

Nice job, did you weigh it BTW? Do you think the harshness could come from the alloy post and non padded saddle, or have you used this combo elsewhere?

Cheers Kaiser :).
The Flites got alot of flex in it (which may explain why you find alot of them with cracks in) but you could well be right with regards the alloy post and reasonably/very stiff frame combo.

I haven't weighed it but do have most of the parts weighed so I'll add it all up later (the bikes in bits at the mo :roll: ) and get an approximate but it was very light considering I wasn't weight weenie'ing intentionally.

looked pretty run of the mill until photo 7 - WOW!!!
makes me kinda want to do the same - great colour scheme with the gold. :!:

what is the stem - make/model?

what size frame is that - there seems to be an unhealthy amount of seat post showing :shock: - you over the min insertion mar or is it some rare 600 mm length seatpost?

btw which frame is it? (been looking at these on the bay and they are gettng cheaper and cheaper).

did the £ 220 or so cost include VAT and import duties, or you get away with them?

ee the attention to detail - re: gold alloy bottle holder bolts, gold alloy brake hose clips and gold alloy valve caps. you know you can get Ti rotor bolts in gold too .... and in black, the latter would suit the gold disc better.... not to mention gold alloy bolts for mech clamp, derailluer wire clamp and brake lever clamp.

Cheers chaps :cool:

The stem & seatpost are Superstar items. Not expensive and really nice quality for the price. The seatpost may have been a bit high in the pics as I remember taking the pics before it's first ride but it's a 400mm post and was def below the min insertion point.

I can't find the frames on Ebay but heres the link to the frame I bought...

http://www.x-goods.com/Prodetail.asp?menuid=316&id=892

The £220.00 was to my door. Think I paid £20.00 Vat inc in that overall price.

Cheers :).

Back