KLEIN Adroit Attitude Repaint / Repair

Nice work , Martin .

But how to spot your repaints ? Woud be an great market to sell repaints for the amount of original kleins.....

cheers Florian

SF Klein":3fwgqh1v said:
tigern":3fwgqh1v said:
letmetalktomark":3fwgqh1v said:
bluedazzler":3fwgqh1v said:
letmetalktomark":3fwgqh1v said:
Forgive an ignorant question but ....... what are the black bits in this photo?

it's carbon fiber that was bonded to the Adroit frame and forks

Glad we are back on topic ;)

So what was the idea of the CF ... strength, stiffness?

I think i'll add strenght and stiffness, i'll let you know once i drove it...if it make's a difference...

The boron/CF was actually added to dampen high frequency vibrations in the frame which is supposed to improve rider comfort over a long ride. The way the material is applied to the frame wouldn't do much if anything to increase stiffness or rigidity. If you think about it...strike an aluminum tube with a pencil like a musician strikes a triangle and what do you hear? A ringing sound as the metal vibrates and air passes over it. Do the same to a piece of PVC pipe, a carbon fork or pretty much anything made of plastic and what do you hear? Pretty much just the "twack" sound of the initial hit but no subsequent ringing because plastic/carbon fiber/etc. doesn't vibrate like metal does.

Thicker aluminum tubes don't vibrate as much as thinner tubes but they way more, so Klein combined thin aluminum tubes with boron/CF to get a lightweight frame that didn't vibrate as much as it did without boron/CF.

Does reducing vibration improve rider comfort? You'll have to ask the folks that ride an Adroit for the answer to that.

Excellent input.

As to Martin's work, do you initial the frame anywhere?

Whenever I dent a car I initial it.

:)

....interesting way of sorting the kinked bars too. did the wood come out ok?....one assumes if its done to correct a dent it would be stuck fast!

I waxed the stick before use. So it comes out easy.

Klein combined thin aluminum tubes with boron/CF to get a lightweight frame that didn't vibrate as much as it did without boron/CF.

It is only one max two layers of carbon. The vibration theory is plausible because the material is to thin to bring more stiffness to the frame.

Let´s talk about mounting the internal tubing.

What we need is a frame, some blind rivets, a riveting tool, super glue, new internal tubing in two tube sizes, an old bowden cable and a piece of hard wire.

Klein_Rascal_ETOE_liner1_72.jpg

Klein_Rascal_ETOE_liner2_72.jpg

At first I glue the plastic tube guide on the frame.

1. next step is clamping the blind rivets into the wholes.
3. ready mounted plastic tube guide
4. now I put an old bowden cable into the frame
5. on the other side i have to do a little fishing with the hard wire. I bended a little hook at one end of the wire.
6. I can pull the new internal tubing over the bowden cable.
7. when the internal tubing is mounted you can change the old bowden cable into a new one.
8. I use two sizes of internal tubing. So it fits perfect with the plastic guide under the bottom bracket.
9. ready mounted internal tubing

Guide

Hi Martin,

Do you have a source for the guide that fits under the bottom bracket? I need one for a future build and the generic ones are not quite right.

Cheers

Back