My 1995 Team Marin,to good to ride ?

haggis":16gp83ts said:
Look in the gallery and archive section, the 95 catalogue is in there.
I have looked but there is not 1995 one in English tho is there ?
I was after some input on whether this bike came with these LX levers and shifters ? i think they are LX from that time ?

Looks like the shop swapped out the white industries crankset and the STI when it was new. Both would be very desirable and very pricey at the time.

Sugino is still a great crankset, these were specced on a few mfrs (Kona springs to mind mainly).

Perhaps they sold this at a bit of a discount, or maybe they just sold it at list to someone clueless who walked in wanting the most expensive bike in the shop who knows.

CRC sell those grips new: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39253

Lovely bike though, get out and ride it!

Hi Garry,

the german 1995 catalouge says the Team Marin was equipped with some XT Rapidfire+ brake/shift combo.
And to answer your other question...your bike is as good as it gets but no bike in the whole world is too good to ride. The other day i saw a golden race bike for about 12000€ and i thought if i had the money i would buy it and ride this thing till all the gold plated stuff is only gold dust on the streets. Bikes are just bikes. They are made to be ridden.
But on the other hand there are also some peeps who think the feet of their girls are not only made for walking. :D So apart from what i think i can respect a different opinion. :cool:

Cheers,

Adam

I am guilty of owning bikes that hang on the wall looking nice and will never be ridden, however with this one I'd say ride it and enjoy it. Nice as it is, they produced a hell of a lot of them and I find it hard to think you'd be risking destroying the last of its kind by treating it to a run around the woods.

I owned a 95 Team Marin for 12 years, and it was fantastic.

No bike's too good to ride imo so get out and use it! :D

Some retrobikes are too fragile to use but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Thanks Guys ,it wont get rode that much but i am gonna ride it ,i used to do a lot of running with my bull terrier cause i do a bit of boxing but due to a dodgy knee cant really run that much any more so i thought i might use the bike in stead ,i have already had one of my dogs running along side of it ,they think its great ,and it is until we see a cat and they pull me in to the nearest hedge head first :LOL:

It's a '95.

They were never equipped with LX shifters or Sugino cranks.

If you want it original you need to find a set of White Industries cranks (ask some of the Marin guys, they know what crank it is) but equally important....you need to find some rare STI's for this one.

They are Shimano XT but they are called M738 (from '95). Normaly it's fairly easy to find M737's (from '94) and they look almost the same but have different indicators.

http://www.mombat.org/95XT.jpg

You would also need to find different grips and a set of Marin Lite bar ends (again, ask some of the Marin heads on this forum). The Titec post is original but I seem to remember reading a thread in here stating that there was a problem with the posts and that Marin recalled them, but I'm not sure about that.

....anyway....congratulations on a really great find. These are rare to begin with and finding one in this condition is a real strike of luck. :)

....and if you ask me....?.....Don't ride this too much....not at all in fact. A Team Marin in this condition will only increase in value in the years to come and I also believe that it's important to keep some of the mint bikes for future generations.

...but that's just my opinion.

Why not find another retro bike for riding and just keep this for collectors/viewing pleasure? :)

Back