1990 Marin Pine Mountain Restoration

OK, here's more...

I tackled the original reflecter this evening.
The bracket required filing the rust off and then rubbing down with wet-n-dry. The rusty screw required some very delicate touching on the bench grinder.

:cool:

reflectbefore1.jpg

reflectbefore2.jpg

reflectbefore3.jpg

reflectafter1.jpg

reflectafter2.jpg

reflectafter3.jpg

Foulplay":1qaqbc3j said:
nevadasmith":1qaqbc3j said:
Do you mind me asking how tall you are and what size your Marin is (seat tube c to c?) I have two 1990 Marin frames and I can't decide which one to go for building up :?

Sure, no worries... I'm 5'8" and it's a 19" frame c-to-c. I ride with about 5 1/2" of the seat post showing.

Just went to measure the seat post, and ended up doing twenty minutes on the rear derailleur... It's 00:40hrs!!! :oops:

:D

Took the old pedals and rubbed them down last night, before giving them two coats of gloss black and treating them to new clips.

I also have a VGC pair on their way from eBay, which may be better, as the Shimano Deore DX stamp in white is still present on those.

These ones will likely end up on my new Cube.

pedals.jpg

Awaiting news on the frame and forks paintjob.

Foulplay":3cnemfr9 said:
The rear mech was a daunting task, so rather than dismantle the entire unit and face the prospect of not being able to reassemble it, I just concentrated on the jockey wheel assembly:

It's easier than you might expect. I have previously made use of this guide on the Park website:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... r-overhaul

I have a soft spot for old Marins, so looking forward to seeing this build develop.

Regards

Love threads like this, I wish I had the time and patience to write up my build threads in a similar way.

Looking forward to updates ;)

chrisv40":dxilrgmc said:
Love threads like this, I wish I had the time and patience to write up my build threads in a similar way.

Looking forward to updates ;)

:D

The weekend is almost on us; I should be doing more then. Perhaps the cantis and the seat post.

Must step up the hunt for a pair of Araya RM20s and Marin Rockstars.

Latest posts

Back