Raleigh 531 framed racing bikes

i have a raleigh 1991 must say its one of the best bikes that i have owned so great looking and yes must be honest it was heavy with all the gearing i had on it.

But now recently i turned it into a freewheel single speed it is much much lighter so bottom line it depends what you want it for

Aaron76":22vut58d said:
Hi everyone,

can anybody offer any advice on the Raleigh 531 frames sort of late 80s early 90s? I'm thinking of getting one as a lightweight commuter...having lifted up my gaspipe-built Raleigh Ogre-Max and nearly pulled my back out I really think my body would welcome something lighter.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Raleigh Triathlon racer (which was 531)...can anybody recommend any specific models which are good, yet hopefully won't be too much of an attractive asset for a train-station thief!

Many thanks

Aaron

531 frames are very popular for SS conversion so they are easily sold, hence a target for thieves I'm afraid.

They are really good frames offering a nice ride, much better that allow frames I should think.

You can pick a good one from ebay.

Well, still looking for a potential 531 in 22.5".

Have to admit I kind of like the Kellogs bike, and the Triathlon (although I don't think that's full 531)...I am amazed though, I've seen three Triathlon's on eBay recently in my size and they've all had either surface rust or bad rust to the frames. Wonder if it was a dodgy finish?

Maybe I should get a Panasonic Raleigh...weren't they 531 throughout?

The hunt continues!

Aaron,

Just wondering if you have checked out the '89 Quadra i have for sale.

It is on the For Sale/Complete Bike area.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back