Raleigh 531 framed racing bikes

...although I have noticed this is for the 1989 'series II' whereas mine is a 1987 - I don't see any real difference though?

Sad fact is that people on here remember them the first time around :)

I know all the lyrics to Rise and Fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars :D

Shaun

Aaron76":2t7zr2yw said:
You guys are great - such a wealth of knowledge on here!

I very nearly bid on a Triathlon frame - glad I didn't know I had no idea it wasn't 531 throughout.

Actually, as for that Raleigh Quadra - that was me asking you questions about standover height! Small world! Is that 531 throughout...as I quite like it!

How do you guys know this, do you have access to the original catalogues?

Thanks

Aaron

The Quadra is 531 main tubes and fork blades only. It's a well-designed frameset and a nice ride, very adaptable too - mine has 25mm tyres (the widest I could managed to get on it) full 'guards and a rear rack with double pannier set, making it a very useful commuting/touring machine. Although not a "proper" tourer it served me well on a long one-day trip up to Warwick this summer, clocking up 108 comfortable miles and even with the panniers fully loaded coped admirably with a long 30mph descent off the Lambourn Downs without any instability. All good fun. :)

David

Raleigh Royal. 531 throughout. Just finished a two week French tour on mine. Its a bit scratched and worn. Lovely classic ride though.
8015200128_895abd4a5a.jpg

Forgot. How could I?
My Raleigh Sprint 501 [throughout I think]. Modernised with STI,s and compact chainset, 105 brakes. Very elegant looking bike with those lovely curved slim forks. And look at that stem. Paid £50 for it. Covered in muck, back of a shed. As new once cleaned up. Makes a great all day Clubmans bike.
7315314226_e474f8b60d_c.jpg

Aaron76":1tu3y3pq said:
You guys are great - such a wealth of knowledge on here!

I very nearly bid on a Triathlon frame - glad I didn't know I had no idea it wasn't 531 throughout.

Actually, as for that Raleigh Quadra - that was me asking you questions about standover height! Small world! Is that 531 throughout...as I quite like it!

How do you guys know this, do you have access to the original catalogues?

Thanks

Aaron

Quadra, 531 throughout.

No.

Rk.

bigjim":srbgp1pr said:
Forgot. How could I?
My Raleigh Sprint 501 [throughout I think]. Modernised with STI,s and compact chainset, 105 brakes. Very elegant looking bike with those lovely curved slim forks. And look at that stem. Paid £50 for it. Covered in muck, back of a shed. As new once cleaned up. Makes a great all day Clubmans bike.
7315314226_e474f8b60d_c.jpg

Maintubes only - sorry.

Rk.

Maintubes only - sorry.
Don't be it's fine. Lovely to ride, light and fast. More than good enough for me. There is lots of them around so they must have been seen as a good bike in their time. I also have a Harry Hall, 531 throughout, and I can't really tell the difference in ride qualities although the HH is lighter.

Yes Aaron...a local chap turned up cash in hand after hearing it was for sale through a club mate - he knew it was a cracker and I was happy to sell it to him as I would still see it from time to time! :LOL:

Sad to let it go really ...25 years of racing and riding memories from being a kid :( but time to move on ;)

Back