Cycle helmets cause obesity :-O

IDB1":2i33r34o said:
JamesM":2i33r34o said:
Suicide is legal in the UK too I believe..

Be a little hard to get a conviction if it's not..

Made legal in the late 90's. before if you tried and lived then in the looney bin you went.

balls to it.
its not law here and i see plenty of people not riding a bike.
people who don't ride a bike, in the case that it is a feasible choice for them, don't do so for the following reasons:

A: they are lazy (i.e. they say they don't have the time)
B: they are too pussy
C: they don't know how to ride a bike
D: they are idiots and have all the above issues to varying degrees of severity.

if you've got the minerals, get on a bike and get on with it.

if not, expect me to be waving my fist at you in response to your lackluster attempts at driving.

It is an oddity that in spite of better medical care and widespread helmet wearing, cycling deaths per mile travelled have not reduced in the past 20 years (really nobody wore one on the road until the early 90's).

Could it be that helmets are a waste of time? :?

I've had some big offs over the years, including one that shattered my helmet, so I think they are probably worth it. However I'm becoming more skeptical.

hamster":cemqrprj said:
It is an oddity that in spite of better medical care and widespread helmet wearing, cycling deaths per mile travelled have not reduced in the past 20 years (really nobody wore one on the road until the early 90's).

Could it be that helmets are a waste of time? :?

I've had some big offs over the years, including one that shattered my helmet, so I think they are probably worth it. However I'm becoming more skeptical.

But at the same time as those improvements we have more 'extreme' riding. More mountain biking, more fast road bikes being sold. And I would say importantly, more cars on the road. More HGVs being driven by people not used to the roads or local area.

The number of deaths from MTBing is small compared to RTAs.

I agree that increased traffic is the likely reason, but it's still a puzzle.
In fact per km travelled, cycling is safer than being a pedestrian according to the DfT - again the main danger is a car ploughing into you as you cross the road.

Raging_Bulls":ihh32h9j said:
Let's not turn this into the eternal helmet debate, shall we?

agreed. its not helmets that kill people, its those bloody lycra clad roadies!

It actually seems to have taken a different turn for a change, seems to be more about what kills people that ride bikes than helmets, much more interesting.

Anyone know how many deaths a year are there from MTBing?

Back