What and when? A bit of a quiz

If you wanted to take the back wheel out of your typical chaincase roadster in 1900, remove the rear brake stirrup, take off the cover below the rear cog, turn the pedals till you can undo the connecting link, then the chain disappears inside the chaincase. This could be a tool to hold the chain ends together.
We used to turn the bike so that the front wheel was upwards, then the chain would hang down, but this needed a decent stand.
Is it any wonder I still hate the things (chaincase roadsters).
I can't see this used as a trouser hook.

Keithglos:
I can't see this used as a trouser hook.
Me neither, but the ebay one definitely says it is...but 'novelty trouser hook'
Maybe the novelty is that it isn't a trouser hook after all?
539783516_tp.jpg

And of course the British Patent Office charge to show details of patents (unlike our obliging American cousins),
so Phil R will just have to work it out himself...

All the best,

Thanks a lot chaps...

My wife was shown some of these at school many years ago and they were described as cycle clips as worn by the teacher's grandfather.

Thanks for the link telling me the date of the patent.

I saw the Ebay ad, but missed the writing on the metal case that says "trouser hook".

They do indeed work as cycle clips and despite appearances are pretty secure and easy to put on. Won't be using them though as I fear that they'll be lost in no time...

Sorry about the terrible picture, but it gives you the idea. Seems pretty secure to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1767 small.jpg
    IMG_1767 small.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,240
Cool!

I can imagine that would work really well on a thornproof Harris tweed suit with turnups :D

All the best,

Latest posts

Back