Falcon - shane sutton Special

Got it stripped down, just got to get a crank extractor,
IMAG0476.jpg

I have looked at the seat post on my bike and I KNOW THIS may sound obvious, I have measured it as best I can but I thought some of you may know the easy answer as it may be a common size but it looks like its 25mm, I want to buy parts and wondered if this would be correct?

25mm is not as common as more obvious standard sizes like 27.2mm, but
they certainly exist and aren't that hard to find.
25mm seems quite common for carbon posts, ALAN and similar early
alu frames took 25mm posts etc. Just make sure you don't need 25.4mm before you buy something.
It depends what you want - a vintage 25mm ALAN post will cost quite
a bit, others will be cheaper.
But looking at your pics, what is wrong with the post you have? Do you need
a new one?

Johnny

Johnsqual":2kuxem94 said:
25mm is not as common as more obvious standard sizes like 27.2mm, but
they certainly exist and aren't that hard to find.
25mm seems quite common for carbon posts, ALAN and similar early
alu frames took 25mm posts etc. Just make sure you don't need 25.4mm before you buy something.
It depends what you want - a vintage 25mm ALAN post will cost quite
a bit, others will be cheaper.
But looking at your pics, what is wrong with the post you have? Do you need
a new one?

Johnny

cheers Johnny,

Basically I am having the frame restored and want to fit modern components to it, i.e ITM black type seat post, bars and stem, some mavic cxp22's and new group set. I'm not sure how I'd measure it that accuratly any ideas?

Cheers
Mark

Got the transfers off with a hairdryer but they were to brittle, hoping to get new ones made using these and the photos I took prior to removal, I also have measured them.
IMAG0492.jpg

I also had this arrive today, It was £20 but will look the part.
IMAG0493.jpg

To measure sizes as fine as seatposts, you need some Vernier or digital callipers. A decent bike shop will have some if you haven't got some yourself.

Good luck,

Johnny

I also picked up one of these in the summer and plan to upgrade. It's my first bike purchase so my understanding is limited to that of the newbie that I am...I want to replace the steel wheels as they aren't much use for braking on wet roads, can anyone recommend a new wheelset that would fit the 6 speed freewheel? Most wheelsets just seem to say 8/9/10 speed compatible.

Love riding this bike!

Cheers

Well its been a year but I have had graphics re-made, just need to send it for a top tube dent repair and repaint then start a rebuild. I've decided on a retro rebuild strategy keeping the look close to original with some Mavic MA or equivalent style rims and tyres.

Re:

rocknbreadrolls":2cymsbbb said:
I also picked up one of these in the summer and plan to upgrade. It's my first bike purchase so my understanding is limited to that of the newbie that I am...I want to replace the steel wheels as they aren't much use for braking on wet roads, can anyone recommend a new wheelset that would fit the 6 speed freewheel? Most wheelsets just seem to say 8/9/10 speed compatible.

Love riding this bike!

Cheers

You'll need to have the rear re-spaced to 130 to fit a modern wheel set.
Something like this is cheap and retro-looking
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700C-Rigida-M ... 3a7fa1e96c
Fit a 7 speed cassette and use DT shifters? :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back