road bike ID

It kinda shouts RALEIGH!!!

The cutouts above the dropouts, the prugnat (I think, look a bit like a birdsmouth) lugs and the seat QR. Add in the fork crown lugs and the mudguard but no rack eyes.

Have you looked for a serial number? It will be either on the BB or on the NDS dropout.

the bb cable guide obscures the frame number, when i have the workshop back together i'll put it on the workstand
till then all of your thoughts welcomed

Are you able to see part of the number? Like the first character?

If it is a W then it is almost certainly a Raleigh or some description (including variants)

only a last zero, frame has been powdercoated and until i loose off the cables there's not a chance of seeing the full frame number,. i also picked up an unknown mtb as well "ar dy feic"

It looks a bit unusual to me. You have a braze on pump peg and a lamp bolt hole on the front forks, all very 70's early 80's. But then there's twin braze on gear cable guides on the downtube, makes me wonder if they've been added later :?

I would say so, there are cable guides at the headtube, but they take a full outer, then 2 more guides where the DT shifters would have been, these just letting the inner through.

I would say the top tube cable guide has been added/moved too, it wouldn't have been there originally (if the cable guide was there the pump peg would have been on the seat tube).

Doesn't make it any the worse for it, just makes it different.

I have just realised it's a Carlton Corsair, how I just happened to put my '82 Corsair next to it and besides the down tube shifters it's a match, angles, lugs even the tt cable guides. Now wonder I like riding it.

Back