Home Brew - anyone doing it?

Been doing it years, while the kits go against the grain (pardon the pun) for me, I have to add my vote to the woodfords wherry bandwagon ;) Lovely stuff.

Now is the time to be foraging blackberries to make wine for Christmas 2013. We missed out this year (2011 crop) but last years batch was a real heady dark purple. Too much of it and you knew about it. Still have a bottle somewhere.

My favourite summer brew that you can drink within a few weeks like beer is elderflower 'champagne' it's like the lemonade you used to make as a kid, but with a headspin :LOL: we made 20 litres this summer in the hope we could store some. Not so, too popular! :?

Forget about bottles and get yourself a pressure barrel. Much less hassle than washing bottles etc, worth the initial outlay and gives a much nicer "flavour" :D

Making good beer at home is a piece o' cake.

Wine is much more variable.

Hic.

dbmtb":3ae5q9jq said:
I make our apples into cider....

But we had none this year!

Is that a simple Pick/Crush/Extract/Barrel/Wait/Drink process?

Do you use wooden i.e. oak barrels?

bren":2xy4005s said:
My favourite summer brew that you can drink within a few weeks like beer is elderflower 'champagne' it's like the lemonade you used to make as a kid, but with a headspin :LOL: we made 20 litres this summer in the hope we could store some. Not so, too popular! :?

I was going to do this this year. I was going to put it on draught i.e. in the pressure barrel. But like you, we had no blossom this year so I decided to make beer!

Bullpup":4f2y0ch2 said:
bren":4f2y0ch2 said:

I was going to do this this year. I was going to put it on draught i.e. in the pressure barrel. But like you, we had no blossom this year so I decided to make beer!

I made some that must have had some nice potent wild yeast in it. One bottle exploded and took the rest out in a sort of sweet smelling chain reaction.

Latest posts

Back