Disc brake mounts...help!

Some pads come with split pins, nowt wrong with them and absoulutely no reason not to use them. Easier to get than the bolts and tiny tiny little circlips that ping off and get lost.

split pins are a bit agricultural, i much prefer the bolts - bolts look tidier are easier to undo than trying to straighten out a split pin without scraping the calliper body.

Agreed bolts are nicer but not strictly nescesary, I was just trying to give Wookie something less to worry about, he seems to be having a lot of hassle with brakes lately ;)

'the original pin snapped, should I try to get it back in' ?

If it ain't hroke don't fix it.

B77":1bbo3riu said:
Agreed bolts are nicer but not strictly nescesary, I was just trying to give Wookie something less to worry about, he seems to be having a lot of hassle with brakes lately ;)

'the original pin snapped, should I try to get it back in' ?

If it ain't hroke don't fix it.

Hahaha yeah me and brakes! Grrrr! I do have the pins from my old calipers that might fit...

Just leave well alone is my advice, if you **** it up or strip the threads.......The pins works as well as the bolts.

So got said adapter for pm to is made by shimano and it doesn't fit with the caliper...there is just no way despite me trying every comination....starting to wonder if I need a special adapter for XTR (that would be typical of Shimano!)...

how exactly does it not fit? - presumably it bolts ok to the fork but there is not enough clearance in the adapter for the body of the calliper to sit so the calliper cannot be bolted to it? or something else?

a photo showing the problem would save at least 137 words trying to describe the problem.

Right its sorted! So it got a 160mm PM to IS mount but get this...the PM is referring to the Caliper mount not the fork...So a PM to IS is not what I needed I needed a IS Caliper to PM mount! Turns out that it just can't be done even if a 160mm IS to PM adapter existed it just won't fit as there is not the room between the fork mounts to get the adapter between them.

So after a trip back to the shop that had sold me the adapter they scratched there heads for a bit and went online for help! Oh the irony! Turns out that to run an Shimao XTR IS mount caliper on post mount forks I had to increase the rotor size to 180mm. A correct hope adapter and a new 180 rotor has sorted it right out!

So thanks for the help and hopefully we can all learn something about the wording of parts! It kinda makes sense when you think that its a "brake" adapter rather that a "fork" adapter, so brake to fork it was its referring to!...Still I learn something new every day! Oh and the "agricultural" split pins are history my old XT caliper pins fit in like a glove.

Cheers guys

Wook

Attachments

• XTR caliper front.jpg
    XTR caliper front.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 288
upside down / wrong way round adaptor ? try it another way...doesn't look like pads are over the discs at one end in the pic,

Also when you get the adaptor right or find you need a different one.......make sure the disc ain't warped and both pistons are firing equal as you can get a lazy piston.......also a disc mount not faced can cause line up issues with calipers that need shim spacing.

Not so much of an issue with brake calipers that have float adjustment in them where just squeezing the lever hard lines them up sideways as well as inward and outward.

Does that mount have oval holes so the caliper can float ? if so you really have to squeese really hard about 3 times and hold the brake on and do up bolts....usually a 2nd pair of hands help.

You should be able to look down into the top of the caliper to see if the pads are equally covering the dics and at the right height.

greenstiles":2jmgd660 said:
upside down / wrong way round adaptor ? try it other way...doesn't look like pads are over the discs at one end in the pic,

...you could well be right...let me check!...

Back