Disc brake mounts...help!

suburbanreuben":19k8p4wa said:
The holes in the fork face backwards and the holes in the caliper are side to side? Then yes, you can easily get an adapter to run your 160mm disc.

if the fork holes are side to side and the caliper's are front facing, you can get an adapter but will have to go up to a 180mm rotor.

Edit: I've just realised this is arse about face. Ignore me...

suburbanreuben":19k8p4wa said:
My advice above is completely wrong! :oops:

No, you are right, but you can get IS forks to Post caliper adapters to run 160mm discs, Hope do them, it is bloody confusing though, its caused me to scratch my head more often then not :LOL:

Its bloody confusion for a "new to discs" guy! I got the back one on but it was rubbing and was well over to one side...I've found a couple of thin washers and put them between the caliper and the drop out and they are now running fine! Is that a fair bodge or should I be needing spacers to bring the rotor away from the wheel a bit? Also as my last rear caliper (PM and had an adapter to fit the dropout) had lateral adjustment the old loosen squeeze brake lever and tighten bolts...the IS doesn't seem to give me that adjustment or are there rounded washers similar to those on v brake blocks?

Apologies again for my ignorance but if you don't ask...

..Cheers Wook...

Attachments

• rear caliper.jpg
    rear caliper.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 639
wookiee":3rbncrjx said:
Its bloody confusion for a "new to discs" guy! I got the back one on but it was rubbing and was well over to one side...I've found a couple of thin washers and put them between the caliper and the drop out and they are now running fine! Is that a fair bodge or should I be needing spacers to bring the rotor away from the wheel a bit? Also as my last rear caliper (PM and had an adapter to fit the dropout) had lateral adjustment the old loosen squeeze brake lever and tighten bolts...the IS doesn't seem to give me that adjustment or are there rounded washers similar to those on v brake blocks?

Apologies again for my ignorance but if you don't ask...

..Cheers Wook...

Yes, thats the correct way to adjust them, using thin spacers/washers to align the caliper centrally over the disc, don't put washers behind the disc as the disc gets hot and can expand pushing it further out from the hub.

as you have figured out, IS callipers are centred about the disc using shims - you can make you own from coke tins they are 0.1 mm thick - I used them all the time or you can buy them 0.1. 0.2. 0.5 thicknesses etc.

the post mount have a slot in the calliper so are adjusted by moving the calliper then tightening the bolts - some come with conical washers that you fit between the callliper and mount/fork another set between calliper and bolt that can angle the calliper - if the form post mounts are true, it shouldn't be necessary for them; in fact formula r1 callipers fit without the conicals between fork and calliper whereas avid elixir have them.

by the way = the XTR calliper you shown you sure that is correct with the split pin? pretty sure they should have a bolt in there.

1210tech":2arsd0kg said:
wookiee":2arsd0kg said:
So to get this straight...is this one the wrong way round?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54880
Yep, wrong way round as per description: Genuine Shimano Post mount adaptor, designed for front forks with IS mount to Post Mount

wookiee":2arsd0kg said:
Yep, you will need the 'Front Post to IS 160mm' :)

Cheers mate me and my stoopid head!

Thanks for your patience

Wook

02gf74":37mgocmy said:
as you have figured out, IS callipers are centred about the disc using shims - you can make you own from coke tins they are 0.1 mm thick - I used them all the time or you can buy them 0.1. 0.2. 0.5 thicknesses etc.

the post mount have a slot in the calliper so are adjusted by moving the calliper then tightening the bolts - some come with conical washers that you fit between the callliper and mount/fork another set between calliper and bolt that can angle the calliper - if the form post mounts are true, it shouldn't be necessary for them; in fact formula r1 callipers fit without the conicals between fork and calliper whereas avid elixir have them.

by the way = the XTR calliper you shown you sure that is correct with the split pin? pretty sure they should have a bolt in there.

Thanks for that makes sense really with the washers...may have to try the coke can thing...but will go for Diet Coke as trying to keep the weight down! :LOL:

As for the pin...the original pin snapped so they have been replaced with what you see...the guy who sold them to me said that the current pins came with new brake pads...should I try to get the originals back in?

Back