Cycle helmets cause obesity :-O

I guess statistically helmet wearers live longer, so probably succumb to the middle age spread, etc. that younger, dead people, don't.

I think they need to look at how the infrastructure in Amsterdam encourages cycling as opposed to what is on someone's head.

If these laws are introduced will we have to get our helmets MOT'd once a year???

Stupid isnt it. You have to wear a helmet but it can be defective. So why make people wear them? Suicide is legal in the UK too I believe.

Car seatbelts are checked as a part of the MOT. The difference though is that if a car seatbelt is defective or if you choose not to wear it you may well end killing not just yourself but other occupants in the car.

There was a study in New Zealand after helmets were made compulsary there. The study focused on several years before and after the law so that the goverment could see how many lives they had saved.

The results were unexpected. It was shown that more people were dying after the law was passed; but not from accidents. They were being put off riding a bike because of the helmet law and were dying ealy due to the usual conditions associated with a sedentary life style.

This was a proper study and was reported in Cycling Weekly a month or two back. I will see if I can find the magazine although my wife has probably recycled it by now as she did all my 1990s bike catatlogues!

Iwasgoodonce":1nellic1 said:
It was shown that more people were dying after the law was passed; but not from accidents. They were being put off riding a bike because of the helmet law and were dying ealy due to the usual conditions associated with a sedentary life style.

People with cool hair will be put off using their bikes to get around. Luckily for me I don't fall into this category.

Back