Cars. Meh.

My crusty merc is very cheap to look after but expensive to fuel. Our 11 year old Doblo does 20,000 miles a year usually loaded with stuff and has only let us down once in 60,000 miles so far. It can still do 55mpg +.

Even new cars are not as 'clean' as they are touted - current diesels expel more nasty gasses at idle or low city speeds than their ten year old brethren. Its something to do with the Euro NCAP testing - its done at speed but not at idle or city speeds. Look it up, the gasses have pushed lung problems in young children!

My 62 plate Peugeot Partner can barely get 47mpg, it supposed to be 'green'!

I'm not a veggie but I think we do all eat too much meat, it should be once twice a week treat.

One other thing that you don't hear about new cars is the pollution caused during manufacture, especially battery powers cars! The longer a car stays on the road the better chance it has "paying back" it's CO2

bren":1vg6utob said:
Buy a Japanese hunk of junk.
We bought a £500 Honda civic while I was trying to find a replacement engine for our 'shopping trolley on steroids' (mk2 golf 16v) It was meant to be a stopgap for a few weeks with a view to moving it on when the golf was fixed.

That was nearly 2 years ago an we've still got it!

40mpg round town, 60+mpg on long motorway trips, cheapish tax, in the first 18months we had it, it needed only a £30 exhaust section replacing, an oil change and some petrol putting in it wvery couple of weeks or so.
Been brilliant.
(PS it drives like crap compared to the golf, but you can't have everything ;) )

If you'd sought out a VTi it would have been just as reliable and as good as the golf to drive ;)

Carl.

Paid £300 for mine, taxed & MOT'd for 5 months & i've just had to put a ball joint on it which cost £10..

2012-09-15185735.jpg

Nearly retro, but it has got a retrobike sticker on it :LOL: :LOL:

Yep, wife drives an 8 or 10 year year old Honda crv and my civic is now 12 years old. The crv has been brilliant and costs very little to run. The civic owes me more but is a boot to drive which is a problem as I need a dad car (have done for 4years ) but can't bear to get rid.

Can't see myself ever buying new, just an 'inspected' second hand.

Impreza estate. That's sensible isn't it :LOL:

Easy_Rider":23yqm0km said:
I'm not a veggie but I think we do all eat too much meat, it should be once twice a week treat.

One other thing that you don't hear about new cars is the pollution caused during manufacture, especially battery powers cars! The longer a car stays on the road the better chance it has "paying back" it's CO2

There was a study done a few years ago to find the most genuinely eco friendly car, including things like embodied co2 (in other words how much co2 is used in the production of parts before they reach the factory), how far different bits travelled, even done to the average distance the workers travelled to the factory. The winner iirc was the Jeep Cherokee!

The other thing that made me laugh was the eco terrorists torching Hummers in LA a few years back - each time one went up in smoke it released the same as if you drove one for something like 1,000,000 miles -stoopid!

Back