Saddle restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

The leather on my saddle is scuffed and ripped in one place but I think it's quite rare so would like to revive it.

Any tips? Can you get them re upholstered?

Selle italia coppi model. I think it's newer than the bike.

It is leather over a plastic hull. It's numbered.

If its badly ripped its probably best recovered although after speaking to a saddler who recommended Co Kao Line leather dressing its amazing what can be improved.

http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product_ ... Q&pid=NA==

You can get them recovered

http://www.recoveredsaddle.com/

Or buy an old leather coat from a charity shop or piece of leather off Ebay and cover it yourself. Somewhere there's a post about doing this but I can't find it at the moment!

Hello,

I recently had a go at recovering an old plastic and leather saddle myself.
I would describe the results as satisfactory rather than amazing.
Although the topic has been covered (ahem) before, here are some observations from my experience:

1) It's very cheap to do. I got a bit of leather sufficient for two saddles for
about £5, plus the cost of glue. Use contact adhesive like evo-stik and put two coats on the leather. I tried copydex but that stuff is complete sh1te.

2) Practice on another old saddle first. You can probably find an old saddle for peanuts, or even for free if you put a wanted ad on here.

3) If the saddle has foam padding, do your best to keep it in place when you remover the leather. Some makers seem to glue the leather to the padding as well as the plastic, others don't. It's pretty much impossible to
replace the foam padding yourself. I tried using a bit of foam camping mat
(karrimat) but it was (as I should have predicted) hopeless. If you can't keep the foam padding, it's easier just to recover the bare plastic. And only old women need padding anyway...

4) Keep the original leather from the saddle and use it as a template for the new covering. It's important to get the nose part accurate, this is the fiddliest bit to do.

5) I'd love to know how the makers put the logos on the side and rear of saddles. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

In all, it's probably worth a go recovering yourself, it is not too expensive, and you could probably get better results if you are a bit more patient and
less cack-handed than me...

Good luck,

Johnny

Here are some photos of the challenge ... I would fear destroying it trying to recover. Especially getting the Coppi logo bit off ...

saddle1.jpg

saddle2.jpg

I'm thinking just trying to bring the leather back to life ...?

That's a big area :(

likely the same chance of bringing Monty Python's parrot back to life :)

Shaun

Here's a motorcycle racing leathers type fix.

Get some suitable black leather, cut a patch the shape of the damaged area and then feather the inside of the patch (rather like chamfering wood), until you get the closest possible fit.

Install the 'patch' using contact adhesive and then polish / blend the patch in.

It will not give you an invisible repair, but with care you should get a pretty neat result.

Ian Raleigh":10xlesj5 said:
Midlife":10xlesj5 said:
likely the same chance of bringing Monty Python's parrot back to life :) Shaun
Shaun....PMSL :LOL:

I bet that saddle looked a corker when it was new :cool:

Yeah, there is one one eBay. Bargain.

iPhone/iPad URL:
Vintage NOS 80'Selle Italia Fausto Coppi limited edition saddle super rare

Browser URL:
Vintage NOS 80'Selle Italia Fausto Coppi limited edition saddle super rare

Back