1990 Marin Pine Mountain Restoration

The zolatone paint has always been a bit of a mystic unicorn in trying to find the exact mix to refurb these lovely machines so I'm very keen to see where this goes

makster":3tgmdeit said:
Good work so far!
Be interested to see what your friend does with the zolatone paint, as I'm sure will countless others on here

I will!! Really looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Looks like you've done some sterling work cleaning up the parts so far!

That cassette looks like it's in great nick - it still has the red HG sticker which is nice.

Do you mind me asking how tall you are and what size your Marin is (seat tube c to c?) I have two 1990 Marin frames and I can't decide which one to go for building up :?

nevadasmith":1wuujf97 said:
Do you mind me asking how tall you are and what size your Marin is (seat tube c to c?) I have two 1990 Marin frames and I can't decide which one to go for building up :?

Sure, no worries... I'm 5'8" and it's a 19" frame c-to-c. I ride with about 5 1/2" of the seat post showing.

Just went to measure the seat post, and ended up doing twenty minutes on the rear derailleur... It's 00:40hrs!!! :oops:

:D

the colour for the forks shouldn't present a problem.
I quite often got asked to paint motorbike wheels
in fluorescent colours, or just add fluro to paint work I was doing on bikes.
You buy fluoro basecoat form your paint shop, I think Metalflake sold a neon additive which might be quite interesting.
It just so happens I have someones project here to fit rear
suspension, I painted the wheels on his gsxr[which he is using on it]
orange in 1992. The wheels have faded very little on the side showing, the other side is faded a hell of a lot. But all fluoro fades as far as I know.

Love to see some close up pics of the 'zolatone' when it's done.

I didn't think your bike looked to bad, I would have been riding round Leith Hill on it if it was mine;-)

On the frame size quest, I am taller than you and like 17.5" marin
frames, they feel about the right size. I have a 19 and it feels a bit
of a gate?

Attachments

• marks-cb9.jpg
    marks-cb9.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,309
OK, so a bit more time on the project today...

Had a look at the front quick release lever:

qrbefore.jpg

qrprogress.jpg

qrafter.jpg

The rear mech was a daunting task, so rather than dismantle the entire unit and face the prospect of not being able to reassemble it, I just concentrated on the jockey wheel assembly:
rearmechbefore1.jpg

rearmechbefore2.jpg

Partially dismantled...
rearmechinbits.jpg

After...
rearmech1.jpg

rearmech2.jpg

rearmech3.jpg

And I took a quick look at the bottom bracket. This is a sealed unit that I replaced the original BB with years ago. It is still sound after all these years.
bottombracketbefore.jpg

bottombracketafter.jpg

Quick thanks to gil_m... the decals arrived this morning.

Cheers!

Back