Cars. Meh.

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Am i in the minority when i say "i loath the amount of money required to purchase a new or 'nearly new' car these days?"

older cars are getting more expensive to run due to VED/falling apart/fuel economy etc,

new cars are expensive up front - around £8-10K new and £4-5K used for a decent small family car with an acceptable 'still in warranty' amount of mileage.

i don't want a loan, and i don't want to 'borrow' money.

i don't see why cars are so effing popular since they are a massively obvious waste of money.

i like the idea of automobiles, but it just seems to be one of those 'how the hell have we become so reliant on something so massively wasteful?'.

pisses me off.
money_down_toilet-2.jpg

Yep, I do agree - a horribly expensive way to sit in a jam.

As a taxi driver once laughingly told me when a big BMW pulled out in front of him..."there goes another nearly rich person" - his point being that the truly rich don't have anything to prove.

Almost all the black Range Rovers round me seem to have private plates - I guess the owners are in some way insecure.

When I see people drop £20k+ for a car, I think I'd rather retire a year earlier... :cool:

I hate cars.

I hate the price of cars.

I hate that I cannot afford more than a jalopy.

I hate that I can hardly afford to keep the damn thing on the road.

And I hate, because I live in the country, that I am so reliant on my old thing.

Alison :(

highlandsflyer":3d2g199m said:
Ach, you can pick up a Golf for £1500 that will see you right for a couple of years. Cheap as chips.

True: my ancient Saab 9000 did exactly that - but it's a different thing when your wife has to drive it with two young children - breakdowns are less fun if it's your only car.

The scrappage scheme has a lot to answer for regards the availability of £1k cars that will last a couple of years.

The money it takes to run a car is huge, having done some recent investigations into starting a 40miles commute, it seems that the train is as expensive as driving a sensible (petrol car).

Only in central london (large city with multiple forms of public transport and large numbers of taxis) could I imagine not having a car.

I suppose I'm quite lucky having a company car but I will need to replace the wife's old Skoda soon as it really is starting to die.

When I got the third car back on the road this summer, it was the tax that shocked me. £210 a year!?

I love cars. I like to look at them, like to watch the Top Gear blokes go around their track in a cloud of tyre smoke ... but to own one? Oh hell no !

I honestly never even bothered getting a drivers license. I take the bike for just about everything. It's faster around town, no parking trouble, no insurance, etc etc.
When I need to go shopping and I know my bike won't be able to carry everything, I just go to the store by bus and call a taxi to go home again.

Seriously, if you don't absolutely need your car for your job, get rid of the damn thing. You'll have a lot more money and using the bike more will have an effect on your fitness, weight and general health too.

Back