Restoration, how far do you take it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
ata":rjub1pdg said:
Personally I´d leave it cleaned an maintained as you have it now, especially if you intend to ride it.

I think I'll do a bit more hand polishing and leave it at that.

I suspect some of these parts are annodised so don't want to get into removing that.

I do plan to ride the finsihed article so will probably keep it as it is.

The paint on the frame is going to be re-done but I am not having the chrome work re-done, that will stay origional.

To pick out the detail you need....

One tinlet of H21 Humbrol Gloss Black.
Some white spirit.
Quality paper Kitchen towel [Plenty/Thirst Pockets]

1: Clean out all the crap in the words := Stiff old toothbrush and wood tooth picks are ideal.
2: Wash the parts with washing up liquid/water := Rinse clean and allow to air dry or use a Hair dryer.
3: Thoroughly mix the tinlet of paint.:= You need to mix because Enamel paint separates into layers.
4: Stipple the gloss into the names := Don't go mad.
5: Fold a square of kitchen towel to the size of a playing card.
6: White spirit lightly soaked up in the kitchen towel := Not a dripping towel.
7: Wipe over the words gently := Turning cloth on each wipe and don't press hard into the words, repeat until you see just the names.
8: Leave to dry thoroughly := At least three days or put your part on a radiator to bake the enamel.

If you drag out too much paint just stipple some more in and try again!

Don't forget you can do it in any other colour just as long as it is gloss paint.

Cheers.
From a Model maker :cool:

Ian Raleigh":1zo8lh3o said:

Some white spirit.

1: Clean out all the crap in the words := Stiff old toothbrush and wood tooth picks are ideal.
2: Wash the parts with washing up liquid/water := Rinse clean and allow to air dry or use a Hair dryer.
3: Thoroughly mix the tinlet of paint.:= You need to mix because Enamel paint separates into layers.
7: Wipe over the words gently := Turning cloth on each wipe and don't press hard into the words, repeat until you see just the names.
8: Leave to dry thoroughly := At least three days or put your part on a radiator to bake the enamel.

Don't forget you can do it in any other colour just as long as it is gloss paint.

Cheers.

Thanks for that, what worries me is the item being pitted and the paint also getting in the pits thus highlighting them too

Montello":x77oc87e said:
Thanks for that, what worries me is the item being pitted and the paint also getting in the pits thus highlighting them too
Thats easy to rectify !
Cotton buds soaked in white spirit and just give any pitting a good cleaning, The wet paint will come out as its thinned down by the white spirit.

If you have some money spare you could send your parts off and have them clean off the old anodising and re-anodised for a brand new finish.

There are many companies in the UK who now offer anodising
and if you don't tell anyone they will never know its been re-newed.

Imagine a chromate gold finish on a 50th Campag' set? Now that would get the tongues wagging.

http://www.badgeranodising.co.uk/

Ian Raleigh":3vcj15d8 said:

Some white spirit.

Cheers.

Thanks for this advice, I followed it and achieved the below ... the improvment is better than the photos suggest.

chainset-touch-up.jpg

Back