Calling All Orange C16R Owners

Ok, just bought it for as much as 170 euro. Will be at my place by Tuesday. Can't wait ! Thanks for advice fellow Brits :cool:

julek":1fyh79im said:
Ok, just bought it for as much as 170 euro. Will be at my place by Tuesday. Can't wait ! Thanks for advice fellow Brits :cool:

WOW that equates to approx £140 Bargain :D you are one very lucky man, getting such a clean bike, you will enjoy it loads, if you dont then let me know, i will bite your hand off ;)

Jussa :D

c16-r project

Some great looking examples on here.

Inspired me to pull my c16 from out of the garage eaves.
Has been there for at least 13 odd years, unused.

Is completely untouched since bought new some time in the 90s from Noah's Ark in Stroud. Even managed to get air in the original inner tubes (rear has a bit of a leak)!

Given a quick wash, but chain and cassette need a good clean/replacing.

I have the original end bars in a box somewhere.

I assume I can get replacement shimano cables etc from my LBS

Attachments

• small-c16-r-IMG_1173.jpg
    small-c16-r-IMG_1173.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 854
Re: c16-r project

glosboy":3f9o1idb said:

Is completely untouched since bought new some time in the 90s from Noah's Ark in Stroud. Even managed to get air in the original inner tubes (rear has a bit of a leak)!

A very nice example you have there :) Cables should not be a problem.

Jussa":1q8x1juq said:
glosboy":1q8x1juq said:

A very nice example you have there :) Cables should not be a problem.

Thanks....Those horrid pedals will have to go in the bin though :)

glosboy":3lgsgit5 said:
Nice looking original bike. It's a 1997, the last year of the C16R (they went back to the Clockwork name from 199:cool:, and the first that was sold with an ahead stem and V-brakes.

I would guess that the things that need replacing after 13 years are most likely the rubber things - definitely the tubes (even if they hold air, not worth the risk of using them), probably the brake pads which will have gone hard (should work, but not as well as fresh ones) and possibly the tyres might be cracked. You might get away with the chain if there was any oil on it when it was stored, but the cassette shouldn't need replacing - just get some oil on the chain and use it and I would expect the cassette to work ok even if it has surface rust. I would have thought the cables would also be fine, but if you're confident of doing it, I would undo them, take the outers out of the stops, oil the cable to get oil into the outers, then reassemble. Might well be ok. I would also oil the derailleur pivots and spray a bit of oil into the shifters.

You haven't chosen the best time of year to get restarted, but it's a great bike and it's certainly worthwhile getting it going again.

glosboy":yxz9xi12 said:

That's interesting. The one I picked up secondhand also had a miss match front nickel fork. I just assumed it had been a later modification rather than being supplied that way. Yours looks like its still in good nik. Logos on sea tube look pretty good.

dablk":1g33h18h said:
glosboy":1g33h18h said:

That's interesting. The one I picked up secondhand also had a miss match front nickel fork. I just assumed it had been a later modification rather than being supplied that way. Yours looks like its still in good nik. Logos on sea tube look pretty good.

It was a long time ago, but I think I had the option of group set (obviously) and possibly forks (stock, nickel or suspension). Had my Kona Lava Dome stolen and bought this as a replacement commuter bike.

Little help woul be much appreciated :oops: Here is my son's bike (build in progress :p ), what's the exact size of the seatpost (still slightly turning in the seat tube) :?:

imgp1222x.jpg

imgp1223n.jpg

Back