Restoration, how far do you take it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Well I have put quite a few hours into my project now, I have dismanteled and cleaned and polished the various parts.

See below for a photo of the nice bits :D

These items show their history and so the question is where do you stop?

My intention is to leave it at that and use these when the frame is done, so the bike will look good but will still be true to its age ... or should I be polishing these components back to a almost new condition seeking to remove every blemish?

group2000.jpg

ugo.santalucia":38gnjhxw said:
C'mon... you just want to show your anniversary groupset, don't you? :LOL:

It is rather nice :oops:

But I am wondering how much further to take the restoration ... should I stop at this point and accept the blemishes as part of the character or go for that "just left the factory" look?

El Juli":1khy1z7o said:
In the case of the photos you are showing I will leave them alone.

Already plenty of cleaning & polishing to get to this point ... question is do I go to the next stage of mechanical polishing.

Also, anyone have any suggestion how to replace the black that previously sat in the bottom of the engravings that pick out the logos.

It's still all in place on the shifters but has all been worn off the chainset.

I work in a museum of local history and signs of usuage are considered an integral part of an object (the objects are considered on their merit as carriers of (his)tory, not just as inherently valuable artefacts). For example, a WWII bomb, defused and recovered, was repainted by the bomb squad before being handed over to the museum. This was considered a loss of historical value (to add insult to injury the painting was incorrect). On the other hand, the story of this unwanted restoration has now been added to the object, so...

Personally I´d leave it cleaned an maintained as you have it now, especially if you intend to ride it.

Back