Whose afraid of fair ground rides?

Retro Cat":3hb6jkuh said:
Me too - during a long university summer break I worked at an American themepark, after two near fatal accidents on the roller-coaster in the park I haven't been able to set foot on one.

The American undercover journalists were pretty easy to spot and it was very easy not spilling the beans to them.

Now that's my sort of ride, do tell, where / name etc

greenstiles":2964bb88 said:
Never got on with them as a child and used to get bad car sick.........now diagnosed with Ménière's disease after suffering on and off since 94 they are a no no as even the slightest fast movement with my head can bring it on, but i can go months without an attack :D

I have a friend at work who suffers from that. A few years back I used to chauffeur him about when he was having a bad period. We were a right pair, was to ill to work full time (chemo) and he was too 'dizzy' to drive, but together we joined to become 'mechaengineer' like some warped j-comic :LOL:

greenstiles":1q1gnind said:
Never got on with them as a child and used to get bad car sick.........now diagnosed with Ménière's disease after suffering on and off since 94 they are a no no as even the slightest fast movement with my head can bring it on, but i can go months without an attack :D

The GF has Menieres. She gets panicky if she has to go in a lift, for some reason they bring it on big time.

firedfromthecircus":3rk7ux89 said:
Have you seen some of the people who maintain these fair ground rides? :shock:

This is what puts me off too - I saw a news report about a fairground ride that collapsed and killed someone a while ago. The owner was explaining to the cameras why it wasn't his fault - I wouldn't have trusted him to operate a toaster, let alone a mechanical device that involved spinning people around 50m above the ground.

Rich34":1n2o7k3x said:
firedfromthecircus":1n2o7k3x said:
Have you seen some of the people who maintain these fair ground rides? :shock:

This is what puts me off too - I saw a news report about a fairground ride that collapsed and killed someone a while ago. The owner was explaining to the cameras why it wasn't his fault - I wouldn't have trusted him to operate a toaster, let alone a mechanical device that involved spinning people around 50m above the ground.

Remember going on a ride in Dorset somewhere (think it was Poole) at a travelling fair where the shaved ape had to sit in the middle of it touching wires together to make it work, you could see the sparks from above. Don't visit those sort of places now but all the theme parks are fine and we still enjoy the big coasters.

Carl.

I hate them! The last time I went one one was about 15 years ago and myself and my mate spent the entire time teaching the kids on the ride a whole new vocabulary!

I love to feel an adrenalin rush but not when I have no control over it!

I can't stand them, I got talked into going on the Waltzers by my wife. What I hadn't considered is when you are 6' your head sticks out above the chair. All I remember is trying to stop the centrifugal force from ripping my head off!

I had a bad neck for a week afterwards :?

Back