Can anyone tell me about this Viscount Sebring Mixte?

onewheelgood

Retro Newbie
I've just accquired a Viscount Sebring Mixte to do up for my daughter, who said she wanted a classic type bike for her 21st. It has Shimano 600 gears with stem mounted levers, SR Apex cranks and stem, Shimano Tourney centrepull brakes and Weinmann levers. Wheels and seatpost are steel. The stickers all say 'Made in England'. I've searched around and I haven't found anything about the ladies Sebring anywhere - so can any of you knowledgeable people tell me anything about it? (1st post, so not allowed to post the link to pics)

1st post out the way, so post up the pics! I had a Viscount racer and it was a lovely smooth ride. They were a Brit manufacturer in the mid-late 70's and their famous bike was the Aerospace which came with a cast alloy fork commonly referred to as the 'death fork'. They recalled and replaced the fork with a chromed steel one on later models. They also tried to make their bikes with their own components, as opposed to building them with Shimano or Campag running gear. They sold out to Yamaha who then produced cheaper bikes using the Viscount name but were just normal steel racers, nothing special, but mine was still quite light and nice to ride. I totally regret selling it.

But please post up some pics if you've got some - would love to see it!

Goldie on here is another Viscount owner who might know something about it.

OK, pics as requested

2012-09-26_17-43-46_722.jpg

2012-09-26_17-45-52_117.jpg

2012-09-26_17-45-01_341.jpg

It looks remarkably original to me as all those parts are about the right sort of date for the age of the bike. The half-chrome forks suggest it wasn't a bottom-end bike, as most manufacturers only bothered doing that on their higher-end models. My one just had a plain chrome fork and would have come with with the cast fork originally.

What are your plans for it? I'd stick a big comfy black sprung Brooks saddle on it and some black bar tape and, other than a polish, that's probably all it needs to make it a nice ride!

Here's a picture of mine:

IMG_7423.JPG

Well, my original plan was to do a full respray, fit porteur or moustache bars and make it real pretty. But now I'm thinking that I'll just give it a good clean, polish up all the alloy, get a pair of alloy rim wheels (anyone know if I can get any large-flange 27" anywhere?), alloy seatpost and a decent saddle - probably a Charge Ladle rather than a Brooks.

Latest posts

Back