96 kona hahanna.

the geometry is largely the same as higher end models from the period, just half an inch shorter in the top tube.

However, it's a no-brand single butted cromo frame, it probably isnt worth fitting swanky parts

videojetman":3b5xbfzv said:
anyway, i'm thinking of upgrading the gears & brakes & chainset to deore xt eventually, but i need to know how the acera x stuff performs.
has anyone had any experience with the acera x groupset.

I'm a big fan of the lower-end Shimano stuff. Sure, it's heavier than M900, but Acera is virtually indestructible.
De-grease it, clean out the shifters and mechs with Brunox and it'll most likely work like new (unless the bike has fallen and the mech is bent).
Check the chain for stretch. If the chain hasn't been neglected completely, there should be none and it should be good for a few more tens of thousands of miles.

As for the frame : Yes, there's a Kona decal on there. However the decal doesn't necessarily make it a good bike. This one really isn't worth wasting a good XT groupset on.
Stick to the Acera parts and use it as a beater, pub bike, mud bike or general all-purpose tool. You'll have more bang for your buck than if you restore it and put the marginally better XT set on it.

cce":2tbx3bgu said:
the geometry is largely the same as higher end models from the period, just half an inch shorter in the top tube.

However, it's a no-brand single butted cromo frame, it probably isnt worth fitting swanky parts

Yep, it's was the lowest spec Kona of the time. Now, I'm not bashing that, it's a robust, honest machine. But sticking high end componentry on it isn't going to change the core mechanics.

On a 19" frame it's half an inch shorter on the top tube. Having ridden a 18" frame this weekend (I ride 19"), that makes a BIG difference in handling and comfort. It's more upright and leisurely. Fine for the simple stuff, not so much if you want to be a bit more agressive. The fork angle is different as well, and since the Hahanna has the CM P2's (not TB) the steering is more wooly. (I rode a CC with CM P2's for a year or so and the difference to TB P2's is marked).

So it comes back to what you're using it for. If it's nice and easy then enjoy, enjoy! If it's a bit more than that, then you might be disappointed.

thanks for all the comments. if i was going out to specifically buy a bike
this would not have been on my list, i was after an explosif. but money was a limiting factor.
sometime in the future i will be looking to buy an explosif.
so as and when i can afford things i will be buying the xt stuff i'd like
with a view to putting it on an explosif frame when i get one.
whats CM & TB ?

videojetman":2wg7jw14 said:
thanks for all the comments. if i was going out to specifically buy a bike
this would not have been on my list, i was after an explosif. but money was a limiting factor.
sometime in the future i will be looking to buy an explosif.
so as and when i can afford things i will be buying the xt stuff i'd like
with a view to putting it on an explosif frame when i get one.
whats CM & TB ?

Totally understand that monies too tight to mention. I suppose, especially after seeing the nightmate with the Pace, that you'd go for something in the higher spec range. Explosif to Hahanna is one hell of swing :!:

Back