stuck seatpost

pullingteeth

Retro Guru
so i have taken a punt on buying a steel frame with a stuck seatpost, campag aero post so not keen to damage, has anyone actually tried coke to unstick one

i doubt you will get post out undamaged . but who knows .

i ended up having one cut out of a nice John Fern frame set a while ago at great cost . i have also had one machine cut out a lot cheaper but it nearly took the frame with it .

best of luck

Loads of patience - loads of Plus Gas - loads of patience.
Keep soaking it with Plus Gas for about a week and then fit a saddle to the post and use it to get some leverage and see if it will move at all.

Good luck :D

Might be worth making up a little tool that mimics the rails on the bottom of the saddle. Weld up a pair of rails onto a long bar, clamp it into the seatpost nice and tight, then you have something to give the post a damn good twist.

Use a blowtorch to get the seatpost very hot, which might crack the bond on the corrosion. The seatpost will try to expand more than the seat tube, so this may be successful. Loads of WD40 once you get it moving, keep twisting it back and forth. It'll come - but don't expect it to be easy!

lanab":109gl66y said:
WD40 is useless in these situations when it's completely stuck

Lots are just tight but feel seized. I've removed around 30 with WD40 and cut out 17 posts and stems :) But it keeps me out of the pub.

Plus gas, apply and leave overnight. Apply again and leave. Repeat until you want to put the post head in a vice and use the frame a lever. This should not damage the post and even really siezed posts come out this way. The last one I did (a chorus post in a steel frame) I applied plus gas every day for two weeks before thing budged (I tried iut everyday too). Fortunatley the customer was patient and I was determined not to damage a Chorus seatpost.

It came out in the undamaged. Plus gas and patience. I don't like the chemical methods either smelly or dangerous and I don't think coke will do much.

I managed to get a stuck seatpost moving alternating icewater and boiling water to break a possible bond, can't hurt to try this first over more destructive methods.

Latest posts

Back