Raleigh 531 framed racing bikes

Aaron76

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

can anybody offer any advice on the Raleigh 531 frames sort of late 80s early 90s? I'm thinking of getting one as a lightweight commuter...having lifted up my gaspipe-built Raleigh Ogre-Max and nearly pulled my back out I really think my body would welcome something lighter.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Raleigh Triathlon racer (which was 531)...can anybody recommend any specific models which are good, yet hopefully won't be too much of an attractive asset for a train-station thief!

Many thanks

Aaron

In honesty there are just so many that you are spoilt for choice. Just troll eBay and here and something will come up in no time at all.

As Tel says there are so many options it hurts and the 501 framed bikes such as the Sirocco and Competition were also excellent too ;)

All really depends on size and most importantly budget ;)

Aaron76":3uq5r39v said:
Hi everyone,

can anybody offer any advice on the Raleigh 531 frames sort of late 80s early 90s? I'm thinking of getting one as a lightweight commuter...having lifted up my gaspipe-built Raleigh Ogre-Max and nearly pulled my back out I really think my body would welcome something lighter.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Raleigh Triathlon racer (which was 531)...can anybody recommend any specific models which are good, yet hopefully won't be too much of an attractive asset for a train-station thief!

Many thanks

Aaron

Be aware often sellers advertise frames as 531, when they are only 531 maintubes, as there is little difference in purchase price it is worth being patient and buying a 531 or indeed a 501"throughout"frameset (meaning maintubes, stays and forks).

The Triathlon is a 531 maintubes only as is the Sirocco (501 maintubes).

Roadking.

531's lots to chose from... but

From an expat perspective as other posts say yes, spoilt for choice and depends on what size frameset or complete bike you need.

I am always on the lookout for a good 531 framset or complete bike. I grew up with these around Nottingham (hometown) As i'm now in Melbourne Aussie, I might as well be on Mars. Sellers are reluctant to ship downunder have heard all the reasons why not and a few that made me laugh.

I see yours going for 100 stg Westyboy, looks good for 25yrs. As you say you know its history. Be happy to give you 150 stg right now!

If I could I'd be on the next plane over buy up 20 or so 531 framsets and the same number of complete bikes, into a shipping container and make a killing here in Australia.

Our money is just as good, my ebay acct is at 100% for 239 buys I buy all over the world Poland, Hungary, US Canada and locally. No am not being smart am saying if the bike or the parts are right I buy. Am not fabulously rich either. Like you in the UK I like my road bikes.

A bike box, take the wheels and pedals off. Turn the bars 90 degrees, pack the wheels with cardboard and sticky tape around the most obvious parts wrap them in an old towel or t-shirt. Wrap the chain separately tie the brake n gear cables so they aren't loose. Wrap the frame in an old towel. Put the frame & the wheels in the box and pad the box out with folded newspaper & cardboard. Lightweight, easy to get hold of.

From experience this works, I know i have brought bikes into Australia in the 150 quid Pro Bike carriers and bike boxes as described through TNT and DHL and I paid for the shipping.

I tell you this as you see its not that hard or time consuming for guys who can strip a bike in 30 mins for a routine service.

So, its not the nightmare, end of the world stuff, its straightforward. The professional carriers do it right. Parcelforce might like our own Auspost get it wrong but when you do see an expat like me wanting to buy a good 531 or 753 or Columbus SL please don't write us off. Talk to us and we can sort something out. I can :)

You guys are great - such a wealth of knowledge on here!

I very nearly bid on a Triathlon frame - glad I didn't know I had no idea it wasn't 531 throughout.

Actually, as for that Raleigh Quadra - that was me asking you questions about standover height! Small world! Is that 531 throughout...as I quite like it!

How do you guys know this, do you have access to the original catalogues?

Thanks

Aaron

I must say the niceness of people on this forum is a refreshing change :D

Aha...Aaron, yes indeed! Thanks for your message via ebay I hope I answered your questions and have kept your interest?!

I know my bike is 531 throughout as I also had a 'Record Sprint' that was 501 main tubes only so this brought it to my attention...even at 11 years old I was 'anal'!!!

My ebay ad is generating some keen interest and it will be very sad to see it go but if it's a fellow 'retro bike' forum member I feel safe in the knowledge it will be appreciated - maybe for another 25 years, who knows!!

Back