Rotrax racer , la premier

scooter

Retro Guru
Hi , thought id post some pictures and some info on my Rotrax "La Premier".
Hope you like....
mixed053.jpg

mixed055.jpg

mixed057.jpg

mixed058.jpg

mixed061.jpg

mixed067.jpg

And heres some info-

http://rotraxcycles.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... ax-hs.html

Here's the questions and answers i got back..

Hi, i have a rotrax racer and would like to know which model and age if possible, the stamp is on the fork tube – 49112, the head badge is a transfer or sticker rather than a badge, colour-british racing green with chrome chain stays and fork ends, rear wheel has 3 cogs on one side and one on the other side, suntour vx derailleur,boa pedals.
Thanks scott,

rotraxcycles Says:

Hello Scott, Your “Rotrax” looks good I would assume from the condition it has been refurbished at some time as from the frame numbers we made this one in 1949. To identify the model we need to see detail pictures of the lugs, brake bridge and dropouts.

Hello Scott, The "Rotrax" you have we built as a road bike and is quite common to have been fitted with fixed gear sprockets. Track racing was usually on grass or hard track. We built a few thousand "Rotrax" of various models and with the age of yours I should think there is only a few hundreds left around the world.
Regards Tim.

Hello Scott, It looks like it is a "La Premier" model all the parts also are original other than the gear mech and levers these are from the early 80's also I should think the wheels have been rebuilt on the original rims possibly with new hubs about this time. Otherwise it looks in excellent condition.

Hope you liked and thanks for looking.

Really nice to see another Rotrax. Don't seem to see quite as many as some of the more famous and sought after UK Classic Lightweights.

Looks very nice. Some good original parts too, particularly the early GB Hiduminium Brake calipers, think they were their earliest model, or one of them. I had a set but regrettably sold to fund other bits.

Yours is good and early, I'm also eventually building up a Rotrax. 1959 'Concours'... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154616&highlight=. Not sure who were building Rotrax by '59. As I believe it was around then they changed hands? Something always seems to get in the way of me finishing projects though, this time it's my wife loosing her job! I'll post more pictures as I do build it up. Got quite a few lovely NOS parts I should take pictures of.

What is your plan for this one? Bring it all back to period or ride as is? Great that Tim at Rotrax gave you good info, he seems like a friendly, helpful chap when I've been in touch with him. The frames he's building under the Rotrax name look incredibly lovely too. Some good fairly recent posts on his Wordpress.

Very nice indeed, as has been said loose the Suntour mech.

Id ditch the saddle too...

does anybody know where I can buy head badge for 1951 rotrax track bike

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_122502.jpg
    IMG_20210810_122502.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Back