Not sure what to make of my first fs bike

^^^^ that is the point of FS - you can ride smoother, safer and faster than a hardtail.

if you want challenging rock climbs and jumps, then get yourself a trial bike. :LOL:

My mate giant-one got one of these new when I got my first Orange 5. Must admit I thought the Giant did take the fun out of riding as it simply flatened anything that got in it's way and was a bit numb. Heavy old beast as well. My 5 by comparison still made you think about where you pointed it and was far more lively. Depends what you want out of a fs but the Giant wasn't for me.

Well I'm hoping if I bump the pressure right up then it will sharpen up a bit, but I'm planning on going mental in the Alps and I wanted something that could handle it.

I sold an Orange to pay for this and agree it was pin sharp (Gringo with Sid XC's). It simply wouldn't have been able to do the long descents and jumps, it was an all-out XC machine.

edit: I was getting mixed up with Kona five-0 and Orange P7. No way I could afford an Orange 5.

It does sound like the suspension needs some work. The shock may need a service too; my DHX needed one when I got my bike. Beforehand, it had no mid-range platform because the nitrogen and oil had mixed. It was much better afterwards.

It is a different experience to a hardtail. My Chameleon was great for short blasts and good fun in tech sections, but after a few hours, it hammered my back. My SX Trail is overkill for a lot of stuff, but the downs are fun and it does allow me to ride a fair bit longer.

I've never ridden the Giant system so can't comment on it feeling numb. They got good reviews when they first came out though.

Cool to be moving to the Alps.

Just takes some getting used to FS.

Trawl some model specific forums and try some of the settings others of similar build are using on their shocks.

Very capable bike once you have it 'dialled', as the young ones say.

You may well be able to improve the set up of the Giant, but what struck me when you said it would have been more fun to have been riding a Hahanna was that you were riding on your own. You said it was fast but boring, but what if you had been on your Hahanna and riding with a group on modern FS bikes? You would have got left behind, and that's also boring.

I can't speak for long-travel FS, but my Rocky Mountain is light, roughly as fast as a hardtail up hills (faster up some, if the surface is loose or bumpy) and obviously faster downhill. Overall it's my fastest bike, and the more miles I'm going to cover in the day the more of an advantage it is.

I missed the bit about you moving to the Alps...you lucky bar steward! Where abouts are you moving to?

You may find that you'll be wanting something even bulkier depending on where you are and how much you start to enjoy the gravity aspect of the Alps.

I'm going to Chamonix. Probs won't get much riding in till after the winter but I'll be playing all next summer :D

You lucky so and so. When I worked in a bike shop, one of our customers always went there instead of Morzine and Les Gets. The riding is supposed to be very good - super steep and tech.

The snowboarding is good too, the next down up (can't spell it) has some really steep stuff if that's your bag.

I'm just jeous the OP has hills nearby. What do I have in Suffolk - fields and more fields how bloody exciting. Quit complaining and enjoy those hills. What I would give for hills worth riding.

Back