Sidlaws ride Sunday October 14th - Wet but good.

mikee":2y8vxxyt said:
i'd be up for this been a while since i was up the sidlaws

that the carpark that was used for the races there in the 90's
down the hill from the masts ?

Thats the one. Park there and its a short road warm up to the first climb, eventually the final descent will take us back to the cars then on to a&e.

Better bring the arse attachment for that O2 as that's what I'll be breathing out of.

I'll make this, ironically I'll be within 30 miles of long mynd the week after the national.

I'm back from my hols in the worlds flattest place and looking for a challenge. So seeing as I started my mtb career in Dundee but never got to the Sidlaws I'm in ;)

Are we still on for this? I need to sort a pass now but should be fine. Roadie event is 2 weeks later too.

I'm assuming Sunday 14th October starting from Balkello Community Woodland car park near Auchterhouse.

Yup. We're still on, or at least I'll be there.
Was good interest so I'm hoping for a decent turn out.

Ok, the details.

Sunday October 14th 10am for 10.30 start.

Meeting place Balkello Community Woodland car park near Auchterhouse. Easiest way is to head up the A90 from Dundee towards Aberdeen and then take the left turn at Tealing. You then follow the back road along signposted Auchterhouse. There is one junction easy to miss with a white (I think) cottage where you need to turn right. It's signposted but easy to miss. Look out for one of those funny convex mirrors. If you're coming into Dundee from the Perth end using sat nav, it may take you through Birkhill/Muirhead and in from the west. I don't know that end of the road very well so if you take that way just hope you're sat nav's good.

I've made a rough route up which plays on Google Earth, but things will vary depending on weather, how overgrown it is and how knackered we are after that first climb. There are plenty of detours along the way with an old quarry and some bomb holes to play in. Don't be fooled by the route only being 10 miles, it's a tough place.

Link to route

http://www.clubb.free-online.co.uk/Cycl ... _Bike.html

jimihendrix":zkkbcttz said:
are the trails old skool ?, rigid friendly ?

Yes and yes. Been riding and racing up there since 1990 so rigid was all there was. Don't get me wrong, front sus would be an advantage but not a necessity. Just don't bring a single speed. :)

Back