NHS incompetency ?

Okay more samples taken and the oppo this time, perceptive was he, registered my anger at the situation and elected to seek out the senior micro biologist for the definitive information, it took over an hour to get the job done, but here's hoping as I have not received a phone call two days later requesting me to provide a sample, But it turns out despite the fact the hospital in question is the definitive when it comes to any form of testing, the procedure I need is done elsewhere and with that relief, it is somewhere else as I have lost a lot of confidence in what is in my area. Now just wondering if what my doc put on the paperwork might have helped, because as soon as the form was handed over, I perceive I got treated as a human being, not an imbecile, for my doc had written the AS diagnosis in the information box.

All this hassle to hopefully find a way out of 22 years of depression.

I have dug this topic up to finish it, last week my doctor was pleased to tell me my personal research and persistence has paid of and I know have my answers, I do indeed have Klinefelter's Syndrome with a 47 XXY Karotype.

Finding this was important to me because I got told I was infertile at age 23 and when that happened all my dreams and ambitions just melted away to become the depression I have suffered the last twenty two years. As you see back then the medics were not interested in pursuing why I was infertile because they said I was not at that point in a relationship. Well me being me with that knowledge I decided what was the point of being a relationship if there is no possibility of an end result given the fact most women want kids at some point.

I pursued this diagnosis to put answers to what medics denied me over two decades ago and with my questions answered at last it is hoped I can get out of this depression and start living.

My doctor has read my research and was particularly interested in part B, which was how does knowledge of infertility affect males, to which I found there was no research that I could find in Western Medicine, but there was in India where the conclusions drawn I agreed with, male knowledge of infertility does cause mental health problems where I will go as far as to say it can emasculate and destroy self worth.

But I asked why did it take so long to get the results, like three months and my doctors answer was well from my experience of getting a blood sample in the right coloured tube I should at least guess this was a first for them and perhaps there was a bit of double checking going on, also quite possibly the fact that I inspired the testing not the medical services gave someone the hump somewhere as my doctor had to keep reapplying for the results.

But KS is reckoned to be the most common chromosomal variation in males were it may occur between 1:500 to 1:1000 live male births, where are they all, why is this so rare to be diagnosed in the UK, but it is only diagnosed when someone has a problem as in my case.

But the end I have my answers, now to to get out of the negative thinking patterns. and for that I have a course of CBT coming up.

Glad the persistence paid off and best of luck with the CBT. :)

The KS Karyotype may occur in 1:1000 or so but it's not always expressed so males may be entirely asymtomatic. Hence there is no mass screening like there is for PKU.

Cheers

Shaun

Back