Crack in head tube ,your views Please

That's going to be a tough one to put a collar on. There just isn't enough headtube above those headtube-toptube welds.

So IMO you can either drill the hole and pray that the crack doesn't continue to grow, have the crack welded or have the headtube replaced.

Yup, I agree, there's just not enough free tube to clamp.
That's a new head tube, or a repair weld... :(

IMO with a 3.5mm wall, grind out crack to v. 30% internal, 60% external. I'd do an internal sealing run then the outside, hot and fast. Start on the top edge and weld down to the root of the crack. 7005 isn't as hot crack sensitive as 6061, but still best to avoid extras stress on avoid the finish pool. Assuming this frame is 7005, make sure they use 5356 or ideally 5180/5183 filler rods, not 4043.

PM if you have no luck locally...

All the best,

I think if we were to xray our alloy frames from yesteryear we might find them with a number of small cracks. :?

I don't think this crack kills your frame. A crack is very bad when it's touching a weld.

Why not sticking with epoxy the cup of your headset ? Or using a cup long enough…
Perhaps you got this crack since a long time. Perhaps the day the cup was installed in the head tube…

Its going to cost around £50 ish to fix.Might as well buy another one without the cracks for that.

Who does deep headset cups :?:

Might try that one and drill the end of the crack to stop it getting any longer!! :?:

whayne":289nj201 said:
Who does deep headset cups :?:

My english is not fine enough : I would say a deeper or longer headset cup.
Headset cups "tubes" which fit into the head tube are around 12 or 15mm long. I know that Chris king made longer cups for harder riding… But for the price of your frame.

whayne":289nj201 said:
Might try that one and drill the end of the crack to stop it getting any longer!! :?:
Yes, 1mm drill diameter is enough.
2 component epoxy glue (like for bounding frame) and stick the cup.
In there zone, I think only the cup works, not the frame tube ;)

Back