really stuck cotter pin -done

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well it so stuck. So far I have had the RH crank arm resting on a block of wood with bak of the pin sitting over a hole drilled into the wood. The BB sheel sit on another block of wood to keep the bike stable. I have a socket over the RH cotter pin thread and a wide punch going through (to stop it slipping off and damagin myself on the chainring) and I have hit the punch as hard as dare with a hammer several times. It is not budging. Suprisinly the cotter pin has not bent either.

I have got plug gas on it too but that is no help either. I do not have a cotter pin press as I cannot find one for sale.

So any other bright ideas on how to get this thing out.

Silly me I swapped to a lump hammer and hit harder than I dared and it came out slowly.

I hate cotter pins.

I'm amazed the pin hasn't bent, they always do for me. I'd say some heat is the next option, boiling water, or a hot air gun?

I don't want to worry you, but I've always found them little gits to get back in as well. Without a press they always seem to work loose.

Carry on bangin :)

edit: Just realised you've done it doh!!

It is possible to hamer then into place with a punh with the rank arm on a block of wood and the thread of the pin resting in hole drilled in the wood. Then you can wack away knowing the BB axle is supported.

A press is better easier, shame no one sell them.

Also why the cotters come out cotterless BB's go in. I like retro/vintage bikes but that is one part of vintage tech I am happy to consign to the dustbin of history.

I had a similar problem recently. I found that if I drilled a hole through the pin (right through to the other side) and used a hammer and punch to push the outside of cotter pin which is now a tube towards the center thus collapsing it that eventually got it out. If you would like me to explain in greater detail just pm me.

Dont worry there is always a way to get it out

It came out I just had to break out the lump hammer (which is where the socket and punch come in handy to prevent damage to anything). It still did not bend either.

It was a super cotter! Now a dead cotter.

JakeMiddleton":3bh05pvg said:
I had a similar problem recently. I found that if I drilled a hole through the pin (right through to the other side) and used a hammer and punch to push the outside of cotter pin which is now a tube towards the center thus collapsing it that eventually got it out. If you would like me to explain in greater detail just pm me.

Dont worry there is always a way to get it out

Jake
I am in Watton at Stone. May have to come round for a demo.

Steve

My family lives in hertford but normally I am in bournemouth where I am studying, im there now, otherwise I would be only too glad to help out

Re:

bm0p700f":2nz3xy7x said:
...A press is better easier, shame no one sell them.

Realise your done, but figure it's worth putting a note here in case someone is ever looking and the Ebay ones are gone. Bikesmith have been making a very good cotterpin press for quite a while.

I've also found putting in with a press makes removing much easier too. Although I did drive one in too far, not realising how much torque I was getting from the press first time I used it. Seemed amazingly tight. Snapped crank arm two rides later! Oops.

Back