Energy Efficiency

It is more efficient to heat a house in winter by:

• Having the heating on twice a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Having the heating on constant but a little lower than if its on twice only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Getting as much insulation as possible for your house is a very good idea. 12" of loft insulation is the norm these days and you can get your walls insulated for a very reasonable fee. We have done as much as we can in our house and the heating bills are minimal. Keeps it cooler on hot days too. We had a survey done for our house sale and the energy efficiency was as high as it could be for our type of house - no further improvements could be made without installing solar panels. Modern efficient boilers make a big difference.

11115_2622043_IMG_60_0001.jpg

11115_2622043_IMG_61_0001.jpg

I can confirm, brisbane is warrrrrrm in june and thats the blood winter. i bought a coat just in case it was cold when i went there :LOL:

Mild and steady for me....I work outdoors and in the coldest months the van is never switched off, so I can jump in for a warm up....same with the house.

I'm often the last to feel the cold indoors, but having a steady 17-20c is ideal....normal house temps are around 16c without heating in my house.

Yeah mine is 20 from 0700, 18 from 0800, 21 from 1700 and then 15 overnight.

Some of the elderly folks houses into into are running at 26/27 degrees :shock: sweaty. Nice.

Interesting. Our boiler is one of those back boiler things that hides behind a horible grill protected electric 'fire' in our front room. Its also rented digs so dont have the scope to upgrade boilers and add insulation either.

This reminds me actually, the hot water also heats the rads up too, needs a valve changing apparently. Must report that to the agency.

Make sure you have a landlord safety certificate (cp12) and that when it was serviced the fire front was taken off to clean the actual builder. Get a co alarm for that too.

Definitely get the heating fault sorted too as you are wasting money having it run like that. Suggesting to the agency that you will not pay rent until it is working properly will get it fixed ASAP.

When you say the boiler is behind a grill that sounds a bit funny to me. Can you post a pic please?

It could be dodgy or just a very new condensing back boiler.

Whatleymeister":r14c29s9 said:
Right, age old debate this one though the internet once said contrary to my opinion so figured I would open this one up to you fine people. With winter approaching, and efficieny in mind in this time of 'green', is it more efficient to heat ones house by:

(a) having the heating on in the morning and the evening only, or
(b) having the heating on constant but lower than if you are blasting it twice a day.

Discuss.

As has been said, thermostat when there are people in the house and off when its emtpy. There will be a thermal lag so switch it on an hour or so before you get up in the morning or get home and switch it off an hour or so before you leave or go to bed.

Plus if you are knocking 'advance/boost' often, you have it set wrong. In the winter when it's cold all day, choose the 'once/allday' setting on the clock.

I do this as my day job and am more than happy to answer individual questions but no, I don't to private work! :D

we had our boiler done a couple of years ago. got a wireless stat, and a temp controller on the tank. really good couple of bits of kit as can have the hot tank lower in the "summer" even if the heating is on.

Back