• Having the heating on constant but a little lower than if its on twice only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, age old debate this one though the internet once said contrary to my opinion so figured I would open this one up to you fine people. With winter approaching, and efficieny in mind in this time of 'green', is it more efficient to heat ones house by:

(a) having the heating on in the morning and the evening only, or
(b) having the heating on constant but lower than if you are blasting it twice a day.

Discuss.

We have independantly controlled radiators (no 'stat). I actually dont know if they shut off briefly while at temperature or not. Do feel free to enlighten me, I genuinely dont know! I doubt it though.

legrandefromage":3apzzl91 said:
THERMOSTAT.

Message ends.

TIMED thermostat, don't see the point of heating the house if no-ones home, set it to come on an hour before you get up/get home

All boilers, especially solid fuel but also gas and oil fired, operate at a their optimum efficiency at higher temperatures, so the notion of lowering the output temperature of the boiler to acheive savings is incorrect....

ALSO, they take so little time to heat up these days, that the slight increase in fuel to get them up to temperature is more than outweighed by keeping them on a low cycle

ALSO, if you turn the thermostat down to say 16deg C, and have it on 24hrs a day, you are still going to have a house at 16deg C, and feel cold

ALSO, whacking it up to 30deg C to get it to warm up quicker is false... it will still get to your desired temperature (say 21deg C) just as fast

Select temp, set times and leave

Insulate for better efficiency, or get a more modern boiler if its old (or go solid fuel like biomass and get paid for every kWh you burn... it will likely pay for itself in a few years)

G

xerxes":3fioppwe said:
Leave it off and wear an extra sweater. :D

to start with ...this

thermostatic valves should only be used to keep unwanted heat out of unsused rooms ie; bedrooms and spare rooms.

programmable room stats are the best option as they can give you warm periods when the home is occupied but are then set to prevent troughing of the temperature which as mentioned is inefficient.

keep all the internal doors shut when your heating is on as this can help prevent heat seepage to unwanted areas ie; up the stairwell.

if you have a foam lagged or unvented cylinder, set it to be on 'continuous as the effort to top up is far lower than to reheat plus the heating will work fasted due to no 'short circuit' in pipework.

get your boiler serviced, dirty boilers are inefficient and also unsafe. plus get the energy efficiency rating checked as i regularly see boilers that over 15 years (average lifespan) will cost over £10000 !!! more to run than a condensing boiler.

not supposed to be 'working' today :LOL:

T'boo Ted":1064xjni said:
Geez! Here I have the air con on 24/7 even in winter and it's still not cold enough... stupid Brisbane weather

we had the heating on all summer and it still wasnt warm enough...

Back