Just ordered my XT 785 Brakes...

Good price for £60. Did you make sure you already have the adapters for your bike as they aren't included from Rose? If you have IS disc tabs you will need an adapter for whatever size rotor you have, however you won't need one if you have post mount tabs and 160mm discs.

GWDesigns":2gaqs024 said:
Good price for £60. Did you make sure you already have the adapters for your bike as they aren't included from Rose? If you have IS disc tabs you will need an adapter for whatever size rotor you have, however you won't need one if you have post mount tabs and 160mm discs.

I've got loads of adapters in my spares box, including a few genuine Shimano ones so I didn't need to bother. Even they're damn cheap from Rose though at a.couple of quid each.

Brakes were dispatched on Monday after payment debacle (thanks Mr Bank) and arrived today.

I'd love to say how nice they are, but they're at the post office waiting for me to pick them up. Looking forward to it too. Will post some pics up when they arrive.

Collected the brakes today...and pretty pleased. Only thing I'm not so chuffed with is that the pads are standard, not Ice Tech. I've e-mailed Rose, so we'll we what happens. In all fairness its not a major issue because as soon as they were worn I'd be on regular pads anyhow because there's no way I'm forking out £60 for a set of replacement pads, especially as that's as much as I paid for each brake!

Anyhow, here are some pics. The rotors are a thing of beauty - I now understand why they are so damn expensive.

Just waiting for my white hoses to arrive from Superstar and by bleed kit from Epic Bleed Solutions. I was going to buy a bottle of mineral oil from CRC just in case, but was able to get the same amount of mineral oil and a bleed kit for the same price!

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

Can't wait to get them fitted.

Why is every single cycling forum I frequent turning into viral marketing for Rose and Bike Discount?

dbmtb":2bhie9l2 said:
Why is every single cycling forum I frequent turning into viral marketing for Rose and Bike Discount?

Because people are trying to save cash as prices go ever northwards. The service is pretty good too.

I can get a set of disc brakes in a big box quicker than I can get a top from Howies who are based in Wales.

dbmtb":3qg4zn1t said:

I've just posted this in another thread..
B77":3qg4zn1t said:
Cost of labour per hour in my LBS ( any job that takes less than an hour is charged at the hourly rate)......75 euros
Cost of service for forks including new oil/seals.....287 euros
Cost of Fox 650lb spring (4 week wait for delivery)....99 euros

Cost of spring and seals from CRC......48 euros

Sod em.

Most stuff I can do myself but was a bit hesitant on changing oil & seals, an hour on the net and got all the info needed, job done.

CRC and Rose give very good service, if my LBS did as well I'd use them all the time but sadly the shops around here are violently overpriced and staffed by gits.
Just popped into one of mine this morning (Aix-treme sports), for the same brakes as Mindmaps they want 195 euros per brake.

Ouch. That's some serious differences in prices.

I don't understand why people get so defensive over local bike shops, they wouldn't for any other shop or service. You wouldn't pay more for you car service or new TV,.so why would you for bike stuff?

Anyhow, I digress. Hopefully going to get the brakes fitted today.

I try to buy local when possible. If that money is going into the local economy. The main reason I don't shop in supermarkets as a rule.

I refuse to be ripped off though, so most local bike shops won't have my money.

CRC are fairly local as mail order goes.

Back