What the chuff have I bought?

Most GTs have a pierced top tube by the seat tube with an end cap to the top tube behind the seat tube.

This is a Forte, but they also made an Edge Ti too I think. I'd love to own either.

gedc0204_741.jpg

However GT are releasing a new Edge I think...

1340389341492-1a1nbjxyz5g49-670-75.jpg

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1vqj3s8y said:
The big ring looks huge, do triatheltes run very big gearing like that? I'd have thought it was a timetrial bike?

It needs a bigger ring to make up for the smaller wheels.

its not legal now but i'm sure time trialists back then used 650 coz you spin faster right? There is a guy near me who has a nice looking colnago master i think that has both 650 wheels. Its been for sale for the past 6 months to a year. I think people do think it'll be difficult to run so some stay away.

great pickup though. those shamals look fantastic!

willhouse":31ju10ri said:
Most GTs have a pierced top tube by the seat tube with an end cap to the top tube behind the seat tube.

This is a Forte, but they also made an Edge Ti too I think. I'd love to own either.

gedc0204_741.jpg

However GT are releasing a new Edge I think...

1340389341492-1a1nbjxyz5g49-670-75.jpg

I have a GT edge aluminum and it looks nothing like that.

Thanks Jim, that's closer than I've come to finding one like it! I haven't checked (I'm away from the bike at the moment) but I agree that looks like an Italian BB... interesting. That also makes me want to replace that Shimano rear mech with a Campag, for consistency.

Also, when did bar-end shifters become commonplace on aero bars, and what sort of bars would be appropriate for this bike? It's mainly my inexperience on a TT setup, but it feels pretty sketchy reaching down to the downtube to shift gears from the extensions on this thing!

I'm not sure if they were originally meant for TT bikes, but i have a set of 7 speed shimano bar end shifters so early 80's?
Beginning to wish i'd bought this myself :LOL:

vaeske":1eksva1t said:
its not legal now but i'm sure time trialists back then used 650 coz you spin faster right?

Not in the UK. You would have got some funny looks turning up to an event as a 'proper' TT'er with a 650 wheeled bike. Some people might even have hinted that you might have been a triathlete 'having a go at proper cycling'.

TBH, I can't see why you would spin faster with 650's? How does cadence relate to wheel size if the actual gear size is the same? ie - a 110" gear is the same with either 700c or 650c, you just use bigger chainrings or smaller sprockets with the 650's. I thought that triathletes started using 650's for aerodynamics as they present a smaller frontal area.

In the UK in CTT events you can basically ride what you like outside a few basic restrictions (eg - no discs on the front, rims no deeper than 80mm). These do not include dictating wheel size so you can still ride lo-pros with 24" front wheels or even a Moulton. It's only UCI controlled events that have the draconian restrictions on what you can ride.

Old Ned":2oxt9gxm said:
In the UK in CTT events you can basically ride what you like outside a few basic restrictions (eg - no discs on the front, rims no deeper than 80mm). These do not include dictating wheel size so you can still ride lo-pros with 24" front wheels or even a Moulton. It's only UCI controlled events that have the draconian restrictions on what you can ride.

That's worth knowing, as I'm currently looking at a couple of lo-pro frames.

Back