Oh I get it...

Retro Cat

Senior Retro Guru
I'm a bit fat, still with a dodgy eye and one dodgy ankle. It was pitch black and pissing down with rain - by rights I should've hated my run.
But something really odd happened just for once I ran the entire route, didn't pull a calf muscle, proper ran it instead of my usual shuffle and I proper loved it - I was flying!

Has anyone been struck by a similar euphoria moment by doing something dreaded or just rather mundane?

I used to run almost every day about 10 years ago, in the last 3 weeks Ive started back running and about 4 or 5 days ago it all clicked/gelled that Zen moment aaaaaaaah! :)

Cycling home tonight, raining, soaking wet roads and dark. Maybe I just wanted home to get away from it all but fastest ride home for ages, outpaced nearly everything on the road. Felt fresh as a daisy when I got home.

I go extra slow on the way home if its raining. I can dry when i get home and im going to get wet anyway. So a safe play and because i enjoy it.

It was safe and fast. I'm always careful on wet roads. The main speed was picked up on a mile long wide flat section. The hilly bits were taken carefully.

The year I was a member of a proper gym, every time I went had a good go on the rowing machine. I used to do 3500m whilst keeping my heart rate under 160bpm.

I always did similar times whilst observing a steady reduction due to increasing fitness.

Just once though, I felt 'different'. Everything flowed and I blitzed my time by over 30 seconds. Could have been a faulty heart monitor I suppose.

Well done :D Keep at it it gets better. When you reach a point where you can run anywhere and distance is no object you'll have reached your zen moment! But always try to remember this point, it won't be long before training runs are further than you ever thought you could manage. I went from barely being able to run a mile to running marathons in a couple of years, I got to a point where my shortest run was something I would only have dreamed about and going for 16/18 mile runs was the norm.

Running is something I ain't done since school but always think about starting!

Few mates do it and I have seen them go from jogging around parks to entering marathons and epic 50 mile Lake District routes etc

Just (today) had my annual rejection via fleece from the London Marathon for next year. Have got to get sub 3 hours before old age creeps up on me, which may be too late already.

kaiser":3ejt190g said:
Well done :D Keep at it it gets better. When you reach a point where you can run anywhere and distance is no object you'll have reached your zen moment! But always try to remember this point, it won't be long before training runs are further than you ever thought you could manage. I went from barely being able to run a mile to running marathons in a couple of years, I got to a point where my shortest run was something I would only have dreamed about and going for 16/18 mile runs was the norm.

Thanks for the encouragement - it's ever so liberating just knowing you can run any distance without keeling over. Working tonight but looking forward to tomorrow's jaunt around the block - hope it's tipping down so I can relive my one moment of athletic prowess :)

I was however the fastest boy in the 3rd year of a small rural comprehensive for 6 weeks

Back