Gavr's Oops! What was I thinking? Thread. Finished...

Ally":2n3vfdxe said:
Any updates?

I find myself drawn to this thread. Think its great work you're doing with it.

Thanks - I'm trying/hoping to pass back some 'knowledge' to the forum along the way. No real updates yet but I'm on a promise now at last on the fork from California, supposedly 'in the post' today. Looking at alternative options, I think that a Dawes Kingpin fork might be another route that I've not seen elsewhere so I'll see what there is out there. There might be some Pashley 20 inch forks too with long steerers but I really don't know anything about these or even if they are 1 inch rather than 1 1/8. The Dawes's were all standard threads so much easier to deal with - the only drawback is that my sister had a Kingpin as a kid, actually which I renovated for her way back in 1982ish , but I could never see those as being cool! ;)

Awe:( I saw this thread had a reply and was hoping to click on to see your frame back from the paintshop....I eagerly await it's return!

Tel":1zolvvet said:
Awe:( I saw this thread had a reply and was hoping to click on to see your frame back from the paintshop....I eagerly await it's return!

Another week minimum I think:( I've got a couple of other treats on order though

Collected the frame from Bob Jacksons. They agreed with me that they don't get too many Twentys through the door but still a smashing job. I can't capture the metallic in this light very well - a bit early '70s

Bottom bracket shell tap and face next...

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 648
Love it. Great finish, although I think i would have gone for a really bright red flamboyant, as I remember them in the 70s...

So re-tapping the tricky old bottom bracket shell. Bought a set of taps and cracked on with the job. The Cyclus comes with both British and Italian cutters - easy ;) 24 tpi threads here we come...

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 615
And then to face - I hadn't left these very even with the file. Cyclus facing tool now shows up how uneven the file job was :oops:

Job's a good-un though. The threads certainly look strong enough to me and go in quite a bit further than the old thread. Facing left the shell slightly short but a small spacer behind the fixed cup will do the job just fine.

Big relief :D

Now where are those b***dy forks :x

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 612
gavr":3kuimagq said:
Collected the frame from Bob Jacksons. They agreed with me that they don't get too many Twentys through the door but still a smashing job. I can't capture the metallic in this light very well - a bit early '70s

Bottom bracket shell tap and face next...

Don't get many!? Ha! I'm guessing that this is their first (and maybe last :D )

Looks lovely Gav, nice new shiney paint. Loving the colour too, nice choice.

Good job on the bb shell too, I've seen many discussions regarding what to do about that 'problem' your's almost seems logical.

So how much is that bb tool?

gavr":1oyt7hx3 said:
Tel":1oyt7hx3 said:
Another week minimum I think :( I've got a couple of other treats on order though

Ok we're waiting for the forks but when are you going to fit the other parts!? I guess we'll have to wait for the forks to see the Chris King headset fitted though....

Back