Gavr's Oops! What was I thinking? Thread. Finished...

Ah wow Gav! Look at that wheel. This build is something else!

I actually wake up in the mornings hoping you've updated the thread :D Well that's not entirely true cos I work nights ;)

Tel":5kl5bbde said:
Ah wow Gav! Look at that wheel. This build is something else!

I actually wake up in the mornings hoping you've updated the thread :D Well that's not entirely true cos I work nights ;)

I actually wake up in the mornings hoping that I've updated the thread too :) Seriously, thanks, I'm really pleased with the wheel, just waiting for the forks now before I can see this happening.

If anyone is looking to duplicate the wheel I should say that a couple of mm off the spoke length would be perfect...

Another wheel update. The front Hope Pro III Mono 36h 2x onto the CR-18. The 208mm spokes were just right but the quality is a bit variable, two spokes in the set had threads that wouldn't take a nipple, one not at all and another very is tight. Fortunately there was an extra in the pack. The wheel is pretty light at a gnats under 800g with the skewer.

Now suited and booted with Continental inner tubes, Presta of course, and Kenda Small Block Eights 20 x 1/38 (37-451). These are light a supposedly pretty fast.

A word of warning I had bought some Conti Contact 2 which are sold as (and marked) 20 x 1 3/8 but are actually 37-406, the Germans don't seem to be bale to do imperial!

Next I'll have the innards out of the SRAM Automatix...

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 763
Inside the SRAM Automatix. Unscrewing two 22mm locknuts on the coaster brake side (non-drive side) allows the whole insides to slide out. First thought is that this could be doing with more grease but nice and clean to enable a good look around. Two large pawls in the centre engage the high gear when the spring tension on one of the pawls (zoom) is less than the force exerted by the spinning hub. A beautifully simple design!

As you can see the hub is not sealed so I'll pack some more grease in there to lend a helping hand. I will probably need to adjust the spring tension at some stage but that can wait until the bike is ready.

Next update when the frame is back from the paintshop - hopefully around the end of the month

Attachments

• IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 754
You used a Hope hub :shock: I cannot believe the spec of this bike, it's superb. Puts my project to shame. I really need another project....

I love the fact that you took apart the SRAM hub!

Have we really got to wait until the end of the month for the next instalment :(

Still no fork, chased them again but no reply :( That's a big hold up now and I can't do anything else until the frame is back- next job is tap and face the BB shell so I can work out chain line and sort the BB...

Back