Crack in head tube ,your views Please

here we go...
http://www.privateer.cc/2012/01/chris-k ... i-arc.html

just need for them to get to production... save everyones bikes

bettwer pics...
http://www.cycleexif.com/chris-kings-yeti-a-r-c

chris-king-yeti-3.jpg

Is it just me or did anyone else think that Chris King wasn't a real person. For some reason I just thought it was a company name and there wasn't a real person riding real bikes.

Antstark":2ihwl8r3 said:
retrobikeguy":2ihwl8r3 said:
Agree with above.

I am really surprised no one has invented a frame saver for the headtube, RBG

Like a..... big jubilee clip ?? Anodize a few and there'd be a ready market on here :D :D

something more like a seat post clamp would be better than a jubilee clip.

campag%20seat%20clamp.jpg

Logic.Al":10el2ub8 said:
Is it just me or did anyone else think that Chris King wasn't a real person. For some reason I just thought it was a company name and there wasn't a real person riding real bikes.

ha I always thought it was probab;ly originally some guy, but got taken over by some big corp (not bike related)... but it's good to see that he is still making stuff...

What's the outside diameter of the headtube?
You can get 36mm ID stainless steel rings from Ceeway if the OD's right.
It's probably more like 38-41mm, though :(

Otherwise, how about getting some rings machined like the Yeti has?
Looks like they've heated them and dropped them on over the headtube (paint removed & chilled, Pipefreeze), giving a good tight interference fit, like a cartwheel tyre.
Maybe even just bonded with a high strength Loctite (638?), but that won't close the crack up to restore the headset fit.

If you have to resort to a clamp, DKG make some pretty big seatclamps at 1 1/2"(38.1mm+-0.2) and 1 5/8"(41.3mm +- 0.2). I've got both sizes in stock.
b_box1-road.gif

All the best,

I will have a mesure up when the three kids are in bed ;)

if i clamp will i have to still drill?

Thanks for all your ideas :D

I will have a mesure up when the three kids are in bed ;)

if i clamp will i have to still drill?

Thanks for all your ideas :D

The O.D IS 41mm

More pics:

Attachments

• marin 2 (Large).jpg
    marin 2 (Large).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 714
  • marin 4 (Large).jpg
    marin 4 (Large).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 714
don't mess about, get it welded by a experienced alu welder.

i once needed something doing like your headtube, googled local alu fabricators and found loads. someone in the workshop will do it for cash.

now, the result isn't pretty as, the result is a silver garden worm just where you don't want it but, it will be fixed right. ;) although the new silver worm cannot be ground down(for safety reasons) it won't look too bad and you may be able to disguise it somehow :?

Back